• In the Spotlight:

Question for catholics

Okay I have a question for the Catholic people.So I just found out that st patrick "saw" hell at this church in Ireland on a Island.Which leads me to ask. Why do people celebrate St Patricks day the way they do as in parades and excessive drinking. This such SERIOUS question because it struck me as odd

sierra_617

Asked by sierra_617 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is celebrated in Ireland.

From my understanding the celebration of St. Patrick is he got rid of some sort of animal from Ireland. Snakes I think. It isn't really a celebration about him seeing hell. I am not too familiar with St. Patrick , and I am not too familiar with the situation you explained.

The parades and celebrations are not really a celebration of religion. If you have ever heard someone say Christmas is a pagan holiday first. If you think about it Christmas can be celebrated pagan, Christian or no religion. That is really how St. Patrick's day is. Yes, it might have started out a Catholic Holiday but really it is a holiday celebrated by many in many different ways.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 7:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well, since when do people give a damn about a holiday's origins?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• That is only an American thing.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Okay. That is good to know. I still want to know why people do it though if it really goes against everything St Patrick was about.
    sierra_617

Comment by sierra_617 (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• IMO for the same reason you have baptists, protestants, wiccans, atheists, and any other denomination celebrating St. Patrick's day, and the same reason they (Americans in general, I know shame on me for speaking in generals and "stereotyping) get bent out of shape over two teams in tight pants fighting over a pigskin, it's an excuse to drink and act like an idiot. It has nothing to do with any religion, but rather the people participating in the so called "celebration".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Isn't this a place you can ask questions...Which is why I asked it MamaK. Isn't this what the q&a is for. To ask questions. Also people are curious of origin to holidays that is why the make books and documentary's to educate those who do not know.
    sierra_617

Comment by sierra_617 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011