Do you know what this is?

My son decided he would break it in half while I was weeding the garden.  It is an onion plant.  When he broke the flowery thing off the top, all I could smell is onions.  I think the onions grow under ground, but I don't know if they will die without that flowery thing on top.  I can't google it because I don't know what it's called.  Our other onion plants don't look like this.  I wanted to figured it out before my SO gets home and is mad.  If I need to buy another one I will.  Anyone??

marybeth927

Asked by marybeth927 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Looks like a very mature onion plant gone to seed,did it get a lot of fertilizer?
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It's justthetop of a white flowering onion plant
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It looks like a dandelion on steroids lol that's some fertilizer you're using
    Ruthzaad

Answer by Ruthzaad at 6:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• BabyBugsMama - Will it kill the plant since he chopped the flower part off? Or will the onions continue to grow?
    marybeth927

Comment by marybeth927 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oh nevermind. I called and told him and he said all he did was cut an onion in half and plant it. That's what happened a month later. So I guess I don't have to worry about buying another one.
    marybeth927

Comment by marybeth927 (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't know anything about gardens, this is the first one. Like I said it was an onion cut in half and it's been in there just under a month. When he planted, he put fertilizer in, but hasn't since then. I water them everyday and weed like crazy. It's my job now and I don't give them any fertilizer.

I don't even know what you said means. Mature onion plant gone to seed? Haha I have no clue what I am doing.
    marybeth927

Comment by marybeth927 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Garlic plants also flower like that.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2011