What age did you first bring your child(ren) to the dentist?

Just curious as my son's currently teething.

lizmartinez

Asked by lizmartinez at 6:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• starting at 6months then every 6months after that
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• 18 months, but that was because one of his teeth came in with a cavity. Otherwise I would have probably waited until he was a little bit older.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• When they started school. Oh actually, no, my youngest son is in grade 2 and has yet to see a dentist. But if he had a cavity I'd take him. Babies: no, not unless there's an issue with his/her teeth.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my son was almost 2
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• at about 2
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 7:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• 4. People kept telling me to take him earlier. I was told they should go in 6 months after they get their first tooth, but I didn't take him till 4 and we got compliments all around! I would just really pay attention to your childs teeth, if they are not straight or appear to have a cavity, take them, if not, you make that decision! Our insurance didn't put him on there till 4, so that is when he went!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Our insurance doesn't cover 'til two I think, but a local dentist does payment plans (the appointments are under $100 for children anyway). I was also wanting to add to my question.
    What does the dentist do at those first appointment? Is it just to make children comfortable with the dentist? I'm obsessed with my teeth (I always go to the dentist exactly every six months and have since I was a child and have never had a problem with my teeth). I just want to make sure that I'm not putting him at a disadvantage if I take him later than his first tooth.
    lizmartinez

Comment by lizmartinez (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• 11 months
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My sons dentist said to schedule his first appointment for 2. At the first appointment, they showed him how to brush correctly, polished his teeth and did a fluoride treatment. They checked for cavities, but no xrays. They also took a picture of him and he got to go to the prize box.

Answer by missanc at 8:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Honestly, what I have found and what the doctor confirmed, was a childs teeth are pretty much genetic. Like I said I didn't take my son for the first time till 4 and he has no cavities, and the doctor kept applauding us becasue he sees kids his age (4) come in with all types of cavities and problems.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011