How is it when your kids get older & need you less?

my children are 1,3 and 6. i am so used to doing everything for them & nervous how things will be as the youngest turns into a preschooler. i am deployed and by the time i get home my children will be 2,3 and 7!! I am in college now so I won't be so lonely and plan to keep going when I get home.

mrsary

Asked by mrsary at 7:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's hard. My son is 7 and is more than capable of doing many things that I'm just not ready for him to be able to do yet. I will occasionally sit down with him and tell him that even though I KNOW he can do XYZ, my head is just NOT ready for him to be able to do that just yet; give me time to get used to the idea and I won't have such a problem. He's my BABY! *sigh* little steps work best it seems.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Mine are 22, 19, 17, 11 and 6 and I frankly think its awesome. I am there for them, even the adults, but like being able to see them do things on their own. It makes me feel good knowing I taught them well.

Answer by gemgem at 7:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• HELLO LADIES,I AM 41 AN I HAVE 4 BOYS.16,11,8 AN 4.AND IT SEEMS LIKE THE OLDER THEY GET THE DON'T NEED YOU.MY 16YR OLD STILL ASK ME ME TO DROP HIM OF AT HIS FRIENDS,OR PICK UP HIS FRIENDS,I TAKE HIM TO SCHOOL EVERY DAY GO TO ALL OF HIS EVENTS,HELP WITH HOMEWORK,AND NOW THAT ITS SUMMER I TAKE HIM TO WORK.BUT THEY STILL TRYN ACT COOL AROUND THEIR FRIENDS.AND IT DOES HURT A LITLE THAT THEY DONT NEED YOU AS MUCH AS THEY DID WHEN THEY WERE LITTLE.BUT DONT FORGET YOU WERE A TEEN AS WELL!
    Serena B.

Answer by Serena B. at 7:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my son is 2 but still needs me for lots of things... but i'm more then sure that he's going to get to that point where he doesn't...
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 9:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2011