When do you think is the right age to talk to your kids about safe sex?

What if the kid start acting different behevorial issues, do you talk to them then?

thomoyaec

Asked by thomoyaec at 7:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would say puberty, but it really depends on the child.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• When they ask ... I know that sounds flippant, but think about it. When they are ready, they will let you know. The key is to make sure you have open communication with them so they will fell comfortable enough to come to you with these questions.

Good luck!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• *feel, not FELL .... *sigh*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• When they start showing an interest, an preferably BEFORE they are actually sexually active. Usually that is around the beginning of puberty, but in this day and age, you never know.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You should NOT wait until they ask, Witch. Some never ask. And get STDs and pregnant as a result.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anonymous 100%
    thomoyaec

Comment by thomoyaec (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• So anon, young kids never ask? Really? Then what's with the all the books on the market about talking to little (not teen or pre-teen) Johnnie and Susie about sex? You talk with them when they are young and begin to ask and as they get older, they will come to you with the harder questions.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have been talking to my, now 14 yr old son, since he was about 6. It starts with their body and then goes from there and gets more detailed as the develop. The safe sex talk should be by 6th grade, that's when they start learning it in health class anyway. You cannot wait until they ask, because some kids don't ask and get the incorrect info from friends or the halls of school. Having an educated kid doesn't mean you condone anything, just you want them informed and safe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would aim to talk about it before anyone else does which might be difficult if there is one silly kid in their school that understands it weird and tells other kids about it. I am not sure if they do this in schools anymore, but they used to have the parents sign a consent form that states when they will be having "the talk" which was 5th grade for me.  I would aim to have the talk before this time.  I still remember my mothers talk where she used sunflower seeds and a wholed out watermelon.  I understood it though!  lol

Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 8:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well I was never talk to from my parents I learn it from my friends talking about it. I guess my parents was uncomfortable talking about that subject. and I agree with most of you guys you have to approach the kids first. Because right now I have a daughter thats 13years and I have to talk to her because she a a quiet girl and she would of never really talk to me so I talk to her first about it. That went well!
    thomoyaec

Comment by thomoyaec (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2011