Wine

Is a glass every night a sign of an alcoholic?

mymaddiegrl2

Asked by mymaddiegrl2 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• maybe- can you 'function' without it? Is it a tragedy if you run out? Does it ruin your entire night if you don't have it? If so then that points more towards an 'addiction' though I am still not sure I would call if a full on alcoholism.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Not necessarily. It's sometimes viewed that way here, because we're a lot more Puritanical than we like to admit. In Europe, wine with your meals is perfectly normal, and from a far younger age than is allowed here, too. If it's not interfering with your life, most likely it's not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My husband was told to try to have one drink every night, if he can. It helps keep his "good" cholesterol up (which is a big problem for him). There are some nights he really wants one because we have something good, or it's just been crazy and we are ready to relax, then some nights he can't be bothered at all. I'm about the same. We probably have one about 5-6 nights of the week, which is more than I used to do pre-kids and pre-low-"good" cholesterol. I think a lot of people do the "daily drink" a lot like us, with dinner ideally or when the kids go to bed, more as a habit than an addiction. Much like dessert. Yum!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I read a Blood Type Book a while back and it suggests that Blood Type A (which is what i am) should have a glass of red wine a night to help digest their food from the day because Blood Type A produces low stomach acid. So, your stomach could be telling you "Drink The Wine! Its So Yummy!" because you need help digesting! Just Food for Thought! Or Wine for Thought? :)
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 8:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• In other cultures it's completely normal to drink wine everyday with dinner. Here...I think people think you might be dependent. LOL
    I've read studies about a glass of red wine a day being healthy and people in other cultures living longer healthier etc.....
    If you think you've just GOT to have it each night...I wouldn't think that's a good thing. If you just enjoy 1glass a night because you enjoy it. I don't see a problem.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• One glass? No. One bottle? You might think about getting some help.

A glass of wine with dinner is just...part of dinner. It adds flavor and complexity and another layer of sensory enjoyment. Salut!
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 9:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• no.
    geminilove709

Answer by geminilove709 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2011

• i agree one drink a night wont make you an addict -if it is too relax after a stressful day or like others said glass of wine is normal with meals,even Jesus drank wine --but be aware warning signs-- if you want to drink more ,drink during the day or cant wait to get home to have a glass -remember the st are full of winos----

needtochat

Answer by needtochat at 8:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2011