What are the requirements in indiana for the last name law at birth on the b.c.?

me & my bf are expecting in the state of Indiana and i am not sure how their law works;;we haven't chose a last name yet..i was told that she has to have mine;and that a dna test is$ 800 and required if i were to want his last name as hers;;or for him to even be on the birth certificate..now i am fine w her having my last name but we do not want a dna test and we do want him on the b.c.;;help plz?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Baby Names

• He should be able to sign an Affidavidt of Paternity at the hospital and have his name on the BC and have his last name, if that is what you want. You could always call the Register of Deeds or whoever deals with birth certificates in your state.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Call the hospital and talk to them. They should send you in the right direction.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'd call the hospital. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't even know how it works here in New York if you're not married. Good luck! Hopefully, you won't have to fork over $800 just to have the father's name on your daughter's birth certificate.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My now husband and I were still dating when my son was born. In WA he had to sign an Affidavit of Paternity, swearing that he was the father of the child, and then his name was on the birth certificate. While in the hospital our son had MY maiden name on his ankle bracelet, but officially had his father's last name.

I'm not sure if that' the same in Indiana, but it's a start. You could also google proof of paternity Indiana, or how do I get my boyfriend's name on the birth certificate
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I was told you can put whatever last name you want on the birth certificate but he has to sign if you put his name as the father...not really sure..here is a bump..GL!
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• The hospital will help you with all that when it comes time to do the birth certificate paper work. Since you are not married, he may have to sign a paper that says he is the father in order to sign the birth certificate. This was the case in Michigan when my oldest was born, not sure if all states are the same. There is no paternity test required when you sign that, you are legally acknowledging that you are the father. The baby can have any last name you choose.
    glam.fairy

Answer by glam.fairy at 11:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011