Kind of a spin off form an answer... How DOES POWM.com keep from being sued?

That was an interesting question. How is it that no one has sued peopleofwalmart.com? Would there not be some sort of a case for bullying or emotional distress... or something... I dunno. People sue for everything!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• You don't have an expected right to privacy in a public place. If WM wanted to be nasty about it, they could maybe go after them for the ones taken inside the store, but it's free publicity, so they're not going to. As long as they aren't making money directly off the pictures themselves, there's no law being broken or rights being violated.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If you're out in public looking like that you're fair game!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree Crafty26.
    ANd they must think they look just fine...LOL...so it wouldn't be an issue with them,right?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If my picture got posted on that site with those mean comments I would be upset- I would not sure- but I can not believe someone hasn't. The comments and titles get down right nasty-mean.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Money maker and free advertising.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• No laws are being broken I agree but I was thinking more about personal law suits like slander or embarrassment causing emotional distress. Something along those lines.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• like slander or embarrassment causing emotional distress. Something along those lines.

They have no right to claim it. If someone was peeking in their window and taking pictures of them in their living room, then maybe they could claim distress, but not if you willingly go in public like that. Slander isn't even remotely appropriate - that means someone essentially lied - a photo of someone standing in front of you isn't a lie. They didn't photoshop the back boobs, fishnets and leopard print onto them, they willingly wore it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• But taking a photo of someone then bashing them for al the world to see (literally)... there is nothing to help that person. How awful... they may have no idea how they looked, I think sometimes they just don't know. Like the lady who sat in something and they were saying she pooped herself or the lady they were making fun of because she had two toddlers with her in just diapers calling her names like hillbilly and trailer trash... that is awful. Make me kind of sad for them...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have thought the same thing at times
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 9:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If they did that they would only be subjecting their self to more ridicule and embarrassment. Wouldn't quite work out for them.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2011