Why does my cat do this? (First time cat owner)

We got our kitty when she was 8 weeks old and our boys were 2yo and 3weeks old. Our cat TOLERATES our toddler lol (he can be kinda rough with her) but she seems to adore our youngest (my husband thinks it's because they were babies together) Once my youngest started going on the floor Callie (our cat) will cuddle up to him and especially rub her butt and tail all over his head. I've heard the saying "cats are only foot tall and their butts are always less than a foot away from your nose"
My question is, why does she rub her butt and tail on our baby? Is it a pheromones thing?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 8:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Cats have oil glands on the top of their backs all the way to their tails. When they rub on you and pushing their tails or rear to you it is the most effective way of marking you with it's scent. It has nothing to do with mating. It is purely marking the ones it loves.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• When a cat turns its back to you a person and shows its behind, it is a sign of love, trust, and acceptance. It sounds weird, but it is a good thing!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't know but my older cat used to LOVE my babies. I would have to shoo them off of them when they were in the floor and sometimes out of their beds. I think it is because they are warm and smell good.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What katiemomNY said, also sometimes they are in a sense marking. They have glands in the back and also along their lips which is why they rub their face against you/furniture. They are marking. But they mark the things they love and think are theirs :)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• affection
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It is a good sign . Cats are smart and know who loves them and who they want to love - and possess . You don't own a cat , it owns you.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Maybe getting ready for her season...idk but sounds like a lot of love in the house...aaww
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• she is showing affection to the baby; also marking her territory
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011