If you don't feel that Juvenile Onset Diabetes...

is over diagnosed, then why would you feel that ADHD is??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I know it is underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed. It is not an easy determination and most doctors do not intially think ADHD - or teachers, or parents. Clue: many times doctors and teachers will intially (or continue to think) it is a result of your poor parenting. So a refer to a therapist is made, not so much for the child, but as a subtle hint to teach tge parent parenting skills. I find it is not poor parenting the culprit but other developmental childhood disorders. Including: sensory processing disorders, anxiety, autism, OCD, and (yes) ADHD. There are many others. And other medical issues making it a complex deterimination about what is potenially going on. Medicine is not an exact science. We all want it to be. But as one very wise doctor/peer I worked with said: we don't call it practicing medicine for nothing. Oh, and in recent journals of pediatric medicine by far autism is very under diagnosed.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Because for diabetes there are actual blood tests that show actual numbers. ADD/ADHD is usually diagnosed just by observation.

Answer by missanc at 8:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Agreed, you can actually test for diabetes. And I 100% do believe ADHD is overdiagnosed. SOME parents and teachers just don't want to deal with their children who may be a little overly hyper. And we are a nation of medicating, so doctors have no problem saying there is something wrong with a child to placate the parents. People now days seem to think a little pill can cure all the problems. I am one who believes in trying other methods before medicating. JMO
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Invent a test for ADHD, a real, chemical one, not a behavioral one. See how many people who were told they have it actually have it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My sister is studying psychology and all of her professors are convinced it is way over diagnosed. I do think we live in a society where people want medication for everything- from depression to weight loss. I'm not saying medication is always a bad thing and I'm certainly not trying to judge people, I just think that if people took basic steps to take care of their health, there would be a lot less medicating in America.
    I think this is a bit of a silly question- the answer is obvious- you can take a blood test to diagnose diabetes.

lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 10:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Another BIG difference between your comparison, is that untreated diabetes results in death.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I don't think ADHD is over diagnosed I think it is too quickly and over medicated.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree with missanc.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Just to point out, there was a time before diabetes had a test. Does that mean that people before the test was developed didn't actually have the disease?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Does that mean that people before the test was developed didn't actually have the disease?

No, it means they attributed the symptoms to all kinds of things and called a lot of unrelated symptoms diabetes, just like every other illness in history until it was better defined. Kind of like how they used to treat masturbation with circumcision - eventually they figured out it wasn't related and crossed that off the list of illnesses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2011