ASL

Have you ever tried to learn ASL? Do you know anyone who is deaf? I work in a sheltered work center for MR/DD adults and I have a young man who is deaf. He tries very hard to communicate with us, but none of us really know ASL. So I started taking a class. And it is really amazing. His whole face just lights up when I sign to him. Ther eare so many things that you don't even realize... like he doesn't know anyone's names. So today I signed my name to him and he started clapping and laughing. Then took me to every other worker there and had me tell him their names too. It was so much fun. I cannot imagine what it would be like not bein able to udnerstand what everyone is talking about. But now I feel like I can make him a part of the group. And it's such a wonderful feeling!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have always had an interest but have no idea where to go to learn. I can do the alphabet (or most of it anyway) but that is it. I would like to learn! That is awesome that you did that! I am sure it just makes his day when he can talk to someone. Kudos to you :)
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You are awesome. You went that extra step for someone.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I am taking the classes at a church in town. You might look into some of the bigger churches in your area to see if they offer them. It was only 10$ for hte cost of the book and all proceedes go back into the deaf community.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'm in the midst of getting my degree for ASL interpreting (taking college courses). I LOVE ASL!! It truly is an amazing language and more people should make an effort to at least learn the alphabet.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 8:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Givingtree, you are ONLY supposed to get a namesign from a Deaf person. Hearing people cannot give each other namesigns - that's part of the Deaf Culture.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I didn't say I was a pro. I've just taken courses taught by Deaf instructors and they have told me how it is supposed to be. Even to Deaf people, you don't sign your made up signname. Once a Deaf person knows you and your personality/traits, they will assign you a signname. Then you can use it to introduce yourself to other Deaf people. Just trying to inform you so that you don't offend someone.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I took a class in college, but I don't think I really learned much from it. I can do fingerspelling pretty well, and I can recognize a few signs, but I would never be able to fully communicate based on what I learned.

One of my friends majored in Deaf Studies and she's a teacher at Tennessee School for the Deaf.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• ASL is amazing! a church i went to growing up had a large deaf community & we had a woman sign during services. every summer my brother worked at a snow-cone booth run by a deaf man named Sean. hes basically taught my brother ASL & then my brother & Sean taught me. im not fluent, i could never translate, but i can communicate well. its such a cool feeling being able to converse w/ someone beyond just talking/listening.

im sure you made that young man's day! not being able to communicate would be so miserable!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• nope but i want to
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2011