Cloth Diapers...

Wanting advice on the use of cloth diapers from moms who have used them...
I have 3 girls and have never used cloth diapers...
Not only is this the frugal way to go but also the green thing to do but I am so curious as to whether they work as well as disposable and if they are as messy as one would think to wash??
I would never use an unnecessary diaper business to clean them or anything and I would do it myself....
any input on the matter is appreciated...Thanks in advance!

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 9:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I currently have 3 children in cloth with a 4th on the way, I LOVE cloth! I had WAY more blowouts, leaks, and messes with disposables than I ever have with cloth. I'm diapering all 3 of mine on about $200, with diapers for the one on the way as well, that will get us from birth to potty training! A great group here on CafeMom where you can come to learn more is Cuties With Cloth Booties!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have 3 boys and for each of them I used the bum genius and I love them. They don't leak and I never had a problem with blowouts. I also love the fact that I can choose the level of protection that they would need by adding or not adding in the additional liner. My second son had sensitive skin and couldn't use most product and the cloth worked wonders on his skin to heal up rashes.
    mommyjewel

Answer by mommyjewel at 9:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Cloth is better than disposables. Hands down. Less leaks, less rashes, and less money. I highly suggest trying it!
    Laura1427

Answer by Laura1427 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Used disposables with our first, after seeing the cost decided to look into cloth for this one. Like pp said, we have fewer "blowouts" with the cloth, and by using the cloth at home & 'sposies at daycare, I can see that the 'sposies cause a rash every time- I don't know if it's a chemical in them or just that the moisture sits on her skin, but it's there every time she doesn't wear cloth. This link can help you break down cost- we would break even in 4 months if all we used was cloth.

http://www.diaperpin.com/calculator/Calculator.asp
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh, and as for washing- anything that won't come off in the wash, I rinse off in the toilet (we just started solids so I have to do that more than I used to- bf baby poop comes out in the wash every time) I give the diapers an extra rinse cycle most of the time, just to be sure any soap is rinsed out, but other than that- cold wash & cool dry. We have a wet bag that holds up to 30 diapers so I don't have to wash them every day, I do it about every 3 days unless there are lots of poopy diapers.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2011