Anyone have a child who is allergic to milk ? How do I go about eliminating and what to cook ?

My son who is 3 1/2 just recently started breaking out in hives ( been about 6 weeks) now and I have taken him to doctor after doctor and they say he has idiopathic uticaria. I am just not feeling comfortable and will be taking him back to the doctor yet again next week to try and get a referal to an allergist. They did a blood test that sais he is allergic to egg whites and milk, but when he does drink milk I see no reaction for the last 2 days he had milk and no hives and then tonight broke out with a hive on his eye and some on the back of his head.

mahal628

Asked by mahal628 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son is allergic to egg white, milk, wheat, beta lactoglobin, and casein. The casein makes it difficult because almost all soy cheese have it.

Switch over to soy milk. Do it all at once. Flavor it with chocolate syrup at first and he won't even know the difference. It doesn't taste bad. My son had just turned 3 when they caught his allergy and now all of us drink soy milk.

Everything you cook with milk in it can be cooked with soy milk. You will have to watch labels for products containing milk. It gets much easier as you go.

My son's favorite meal was mac and cheese. Well in the freezer aisle, they make a soy mac and cheese that is glueten free. So, no milk, no eggs, no wheat. It's sort of expensive, but he loves it. It's called Amy's.

If you have any questions, email me. I have tons of recipes and ideas. For baking a good replacement for eggs is applesauce.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My son is allergic to milk, you need to look out for whey and casein. They are proteins of milk that typically cause reactions. But you can use soy milk to replace everything or almond or coconut or rice. You can get rice cheese too or a cheese I like for my son is Daiya cheese. It can be found in whole foods stores. Find a vegan group here on CM. They will be a lot of help.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• avoid soy too. It is a phytoestrogen. Rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, goat milk. EnergG egg replacer for baking or you can use ground flaxseed. I use rice flour to bake. Just replace flour in recipes with rice flour.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thank you everyone for the advice I am taking it all in and using it until I can get into the doc in July I just wish it was sooner than the 2oth :(
    mahal628

Comment by mahal628 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Use either soy, almond, or rice milk if there are no allergies to that.... but in baking, you can use 1 1/2 tsp. corn starch with 3 Tbs. water to equal the effect of one egg.... and just water in place of milk.... anyways, hope this helps at least a little.... GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 7:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2011