Have you ever been 'scammed' by someone you met on an internet dating site?

There is a show about that very thing on 20/20 tonight and it just made me wonder if any CM'ers have ever used a dating site and actually been scammed for money or something else by someone who was NOT who they protrayed themselves to be in one way or another.
The woman on 20/20 had given this man around $5,000 and they had never met. Another man had given nearly $50,000 to a girl (it drained his life savings). He was so ashamed and depressed after the scam...he killed himself. This is serious.
I realize most people are not this naive to go that far but....have you ever met someone and when you met them they turned out not to be who or what they portrayed on the dating site?? If so, how did you handle the situation at that point??

**Update**--These were people scammed by a group out of Guyana,Africa (they would post a pic/profile of say..a beautiful girl or handsome guy---then they kept the people hooked and promised love and meetings for months until these people felt they trusted and were compelled to send money to help for one reason or another. they never dreamed they were being worked by an entire goup of people out of some other place.

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 10:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Not me but I can see it happening to someone very lonely& in need of companionship. I remember a post years ago on CM from someone whose mother waslonely and talking to a man online. She felt bad for going into her mom's email but the guy lived out of state supposedly and everytime he was about to fly to be with her, he had an emergency or crisis. Finally he asked for the money to get to her and she had researched options like refinancing her home to wire him the money. We all told her it was screaming Nigerian scam so she stopped her poor mom.
    SwePea

Answer by SwePea at 8:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Nothing that bad but I went on a date with a guy that had a picture of someone else and said it was him. When I met him in person, he was nasty as hell.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Those people must have had the IQ the size of a gnats ass . I've met several people online and just like anywhere else you meet someone, they're inclined to put their best foot forward, but who doesn't do that? It's not like you shake hands with someone new and say "Hi, I have co dependency issues, or Hello, I'm a compulsive overeater.. meeting people online isn't the big scary thing people make it out to be, you just have to use common sense and good judgement and if you don't have either of those things going for yourself then your life isn't gonna be a cake walk online or off.
    Anonymous

• yea it happened to me sort of, it WAS him but he sure was ugly in person and younger than he said
    i was like "uh later" lol
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• well they are stupid for giving the money away
    its not a scam its their own stupidity, sorry
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I can see how it could happen to someone very lonely and vulnerable. Just not up to $5000 or $50,000 maybe. That's just losing control of yourself and your finances but...If you've talked to someone for months & months online then you probably feel like you "know" them pretty well.....it just turned out that these people were not even talking to whom they thought they were all that time.
    Speaking of "money scams"--I have been on other sites (even penpal sites) and get msgs every day from people from Africa, South America etc ...I always wonder if it's a money scam. I have received emails asking to "cash checks" from people from those countries too. I've heard that was a pretty big scam for awhile until people caught on to it.
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 7:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• As a matter of fact a few few years ago i did meet a guy online who said he traveld alot for work and lived in my city and that we need to hook up when he comes back, he would never call me but text religously every night at the same time and we chatted online for hours and guess what he was from guyna. Well after a while he asked me to send him money to buy a phone so he could call me because he couldnt cash is check over there so i told him to send his check here and deposit in his account and when that didn't work he claimed to want to merry me in 3 mo when he came home but really wanted to ask me on the phone so one night after my brother told me about these online scammers i asked him strait out he are you from guyna and one of those scammer trying to get money from stupid americans? he went silent and i told him well you have met your first smart women and i am not sending you shit and i never heard from him again.
    Anonymous

• blank stareUgh, Wow---I'm not surprised that someone here has come across this...obviously they are really making the rounds! I'm so glad you put a stop to it in time!!  It sure could have been worse.

KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2011