10 questions for Evolutionists.

"And teaching children creationism as opposed to evolution is a testament to ignorance ."

"Creationism is faith-based fantasy. Evolution is science-based fact."

These comments were made by someone on another thread. If you'd like to claim them, feel free. I'd like to ask a few questions and, if you don't mind, I'd like factual answers instead of opinions only. Thanks.

P.S. For the person who made the above comments, or anyone who agrees with them, how would you like to make a nice chunk of change? Dr. Kent Hovind is offering $250,000 to anyone who can give empirical evidence for evolution.
See www.drdino.com
I sent them an email a few weeks ago to see if the offer still stands since it has been around for awhile. It does.

1. Where did the space for the universe come from?
2. Where did matter come from?
3. Where did the laws of the universe come from (gravity, inertia, etc.)?
4. How did matter get so perfectly organized?
5. Where did the energy come from to do all the organizing?
6. When where, why, and how did life come from dead matter?
7. When, where, why, and how did life learn to reporduce itself?
8. With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?
9. How can mutations (recombining of the genetic code) create any new, improved varities?
10. Is it possible that similarities in design between different animals prove a common Creator instead of a common ancestor?

popzaroo

Asked by popzaroo at 10:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Now, I'm not saying what you believe is wrong or your information is wrong. But it's egotistical to assume that just because you see one part of the issue and deny the other that everyone else who can believe in the 2 in a logical and consistent manner is ignorant or doesn't know what they're talking about. As I've saidplenty of times here: My religion has absolutely zero issues with scientifically PROVEN FACTS. And that includes the proven facts in the theory of evolution. We have no problem agreeing with genetic mutations and the resulting consequences in the species. However, to me (and many others) that doesn't automatically eliminate intelligent design and a Creator directing these mutations. If it does to you, great ,that's your interpretation of the facts. but I'm not about to insult your knowledge because you analyzed the facts differently. I don't see why you have to question mine.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Many of the questions in the list are regarding the origins of the universe, which is cosmology. Evolution is biology.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What Kelley said. And the answer to most of those cosmological questions lies in fission, nuclear reaction, and the expansion of matter by chemical (heat) reaction.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Number 8 doesn't make sense. Single cells and sexual reproduction?? Really?? Shows ignorance of Science..
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think the Theory of Evolution has been pretty well established in the Scientific world, Pop, and the other questions pertaining to cosmology as well. Were you hoping that you'd stump those who oppose the teaching of Creationism as "real science" in public schools with those questions? Could you actually have been hoping that we'd say, "Well, you got me there, Pop! I guess the answer for questions 1-10 MUST be 'god!'?

As my ten-year old would say, "Epic Fail".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• popzaroo, you are reaching
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Everyone else hass pretty much covered it. Only thing I can add is that Dr. Kent Hovind isn't very knowledgable in science, which is why he's pushing the creationist angle, and rather badly I might add if he can't distinguish between what is cosmology and what is actually evolution. Please tell me this isn't where you get your scientific information Pop because that would be a sad sad state indeed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Number 10: Would that mean that organisms that share no similar characteristics come from different Creators??
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• For number nine, I would suggest looking up the Lenski e-coli experiment- evolution of e-coli bacteria and extensively documented online for free. I would also suggest looking at research done on random mutation of flu viruses because the WHO and CDC do so much flu surveillance and the flu mutates so often. The WHO regularly does genetic sequencing and logs mutations, most of which go nowhere because they are not advantageous- they don't make the virus more transmissible, so they die out. But then you see some mutations that are advantageous and we see something like swine flu or Spanish flu that sweeps the globe because the mutation was advantageous to the virus. As for ten, I don't think there is an inherent contradiction in terms of God and evolution. I do think the contradiction lies in literal interpretations of Genesis vs evolution because of the idea that God did it in six days and then it was done.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2011