If you Supplemented Formula... How long did you last Breast Feeding also?

If you Supplemented... How long did you last Breast Feeding also? I know that Supplementing can decrease your supply so I am wondering how many actually lasted breast feeding also once they started supplementing with formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 months..
    Anonymous

• I nursed exclusively until he was 10 1/2 months (about 1 month ago). He stopped nursing all of a sudden and would no longer take a bottle. I still pump to provide him breastmilk but it is only about 6-8 oz a day so I have to supplement with formula. Plan on pumping and providing milk for a little while longer, not sure how much because I seem to be 'drying up' since I'm only pumping.
    Anonymous

• we started supplementing at 1 month, we have passed the 5 month mark and still going strong.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Good question!! I'm feeding my 3 week old 1 bottle a day of formula. Always at the same time and with NUK nipples to try and prevent preference. The reason I'm supplementing one bottle a day is because I don't want the opposite to happen. My SIL breastfed the full year when she didn't want to because her daughter couldn't stand the formula. Then there was my aunt who wanted a break from boob duty and tried to introduce formula at 6 months and her son wouldn't take it either. But she ended up just torchuring him through accepting it :/ --- I've been doing this one a day since he was born...no problems either way.
    n_ramirez

Answer by n_ramirez at 11:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I gave my oldest one 4oz bottle a day from the beggining and breast fed her for a year, my youngest is 4 months old and she gets one 3oz bottle a day with no problems. I think the problem with supplementing is that some people find it so "easy" to go get a bottle that they start supplementing more and more and there goes there milk supply! I WILL NOT give her more than that one bottle even when she wants to be hooked to my breast all day and I want a break really bad.....
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 9:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I breastfed and supplimented with formula until Emma was almost two.
    baker963

Answer by baker963 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• 5 months. We started supplementing around 2 months because of supply issues; I couldn't pump for the life of me. I think we would've lasted longer if I hadn't had supply issues from the beginning.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My sister started supplementing when her son was around 4 weeks old, maybe earlier. Now she is stricly formula feeding. In most cases supplementing isn't needed and it does drop your supply :(
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have breastfed and supplemented all five of mine for at least the first year. My youngest just weaned a week and a half ago at 18mths.

MrsS717

Answer by MrsS717 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We supplemented for about 3 months due to a low supply... eventually I caught up with his demand. But you MUST MUST pump for every supplement you give if you want to eventually meet the demand.
    I would breastfeed first and then give bottle if needed... and then pump. It takes forever to start with... but as you increase your supply you need to supplement less.
    My baby is 5 months now and only breastfeeds now
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008