What is an inexpensive healthy meal plan?

I really want to lose weight by eating better. What is ur meal plan like? Is it expensive? Inexpensive?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I eat clean. It's not a set meal plan, but it's basically all about home cooked food with no added sugar, sodium, etc, using few if any processed foods, eating small frequent meals and consuming proper portion sizes. I've lost 65 lbs over the last year with this and running. It's very flexible, which I like, and it's not super limiting, IMO. I subscribe to Clean Eating magazine, which gives me tons of recipe ideas (I made a breaded tandoori chicken tonight that was super yummy, even my 2 year old ate every bite!). Clean Eating and any book by Tosca Reno (the publisher's wife) will get you started. Check it out!! :-)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I also eat like Musicpisces. I buy no processed foods and I do not eat complex foods. It is so much harder to eat right when you are always trying to stay away from the oh so addictive carbs. You can save lots of money if you buy fruits and vegetables that are in season. Like right now you can get strawberries for $2 at walmart and they used to be $5. And mangoes in season are $.60 per instead of $1.99 off season. When you eat all natural that big price reduction makes a big difference. You can get frozen chicken instead of fresh. Fish prices also adjust with season. You can buy those huge bags of dry beans and that will make so much food for like $1. So eating natural can be tons cheaper than buying other types of foods.

My meal plan is 3 major meals with 2 snacks in between. Meals have meat, veges, carb. Snack is fruit. No dairy! Sub out leafy greens!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• well let me start by saying if you want to loose weight, you need to exercise.
    i can eat farley cheap eating healthy. i eat LOTS of fruit, salad with light dressings, chicken, turkey, tuna fish, eggs, etc.
    if i must eat carbs, only whole grains & whole wheat & i eat them only in the morning & afternoon.
    a usual day for me will be :
    break fast : 1 cup of special k cereal with half of a banana & skim milk
    lunch : 1 can of tuna on toasted whole wheat
    snack: watermelon
    lunch: chicken & a salad
    snack : grapes
    & i drink as much water as possible.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• oops i meant to say "oh so addictive complex carb"

Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Lots of fruits and veggies...baked or grilled chicken with salad and green beans.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You have some good advice here already - cutting out processed food to cook from scratch is healthier and cheaper at the same time. Shop for what's on sale, in both the meat and produce departments. Avoid the center aisles of the store altogether except for basic staples like flour, brown rice, sugar, and similar single ingredient staples. If there's no good deals on fresh, local produce (avoid what's flown in from another continent off-season), buy plain frozen veggies - no sauces or blends, just plain broccoli or carrots or whatever. Your goal on anything you buy, frozen or packaged, should be 3 ingredients or less on the label. Don't buy canned veggies - you're paying for salt and water. Plan your meals around what's in your freezer and pantry, not what's at the store. Eventually, you'll hardly shop at all, and what you "need" will already be at your house. You only buy what's on sale.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh, here's a link to my journal about how to eat clean. I also have this one with some general weight loss advice, focused mostly on eating right. I am studying to be a midwife and a nutritionist, so this is something near and dear to my heart.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2011