Chronic pain management

I hate the prescription stuff. Yes, it works, to a point, but I despise the sense of detachment and loopiness (for lack of a better term) that goes with it. Most days, alternating tylenol and advil works, but on those that don't, what else do you use that isn't the "hard stuff"?
(let me clarify now, what LEGAL options - I don't want this turning into a legal MJ debate)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Health

• Depends on where your pain is... have you ever considered a TENS unit?

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What type of pain? If it's muscular or nerve pain, massage therapy or chiropractic may help
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'm not sure what type of pain, but I have PCOS and I do stretching, relaxation, meditation, and hot showers as well as naproxen. There are also pain mede you can get from the doctor that are non narcotic.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Technically it's vein pain, so it's muscular and nerve in a way. Nerve from what I'd consider the "first tier" of pain, and muscular from the swelling and edema that go with it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have been a chronic pain patient for 17+ years now....What type of pain and where?
    and just want to say...So Sorry you're hurting...chronic pain is a drag!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Depending on the type of pain, physical therapy may help, too. They can give you stretches and exercises to strengthen the area and supporting areas. TENS can be great. Do you see an osteopath? They're like an MD, but they're not so drug happy, and many will do adjustments.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Where is the "vein pain"?
    musicpisces

• I like Excedrin back and body. I also use Bio-Freeze . Which is kind of like a sports rub, but much better and doesn't smell. You can get it at Chiropractic offices....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• In your leg? arm?
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If you figure out something, let me know ... my hubby takes 180mg of morphine sulfate a day and it doesn't seem to help at all. He can't seem to take any of the vitamins or herbals that I try him on either. He has done numerous pain clinics and they haven't helped either. He also has TENS unit.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011