choking

Hi ladies i need some help please my daughter kymberlee chokes a lot starting on her own salivia i don't know what to do anymore... its the scariest feeling ever i see her face get all red and i blow on her face to get air... i pat her back i pull her arms up i mean really this is so scarry it hashappened twice now... advise ladies

kymberleesmom

Asked by kymberleesmom at 10:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What is she choking on??? If it is water/saliva/milk or any other liquid its best just to let her choke it out herself. Her body is doing its job protecting the lungs and holding her arms up doesn't help one bit. The same is true for blowing on her face and slapping the back (unless she has something in her airway like a chunk of food and is NOT coughing, just turning blue) When this happens the best thing you can do is try and stay calm and try to keep her calm.

Also hearing her choke is believe it or not a good sign... she is breathing in enough air to cough it up! How often does this happen??? You said twice, how old is she?

CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 11:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• What is with the hold your hands up over your head theory?? My husband is hispanic is a firm believer in telling our kids to LOOK UP when their choking after "something went down the wrong tube"...and I don't see the logic in it...neither do I with the hands above the head. Have you talked to you pedi??
    n_ramirez

Answer by n_ramirez at 11:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• talk to your pediatrician first. my neighbor's daughter did something like this too, so they introduced her to a pacifier and... presto no more choking!!
    YvOnNeAKAmOMmY

Answer by YvOnNeAKAmOMmY at 12:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2008