Pumping milk

On friday I have plans to go out. My 6 month old baby is still basically only breastfeeding, although she occasionally has some cereal or jarred baby food. My problem is that I had milk saved in the freezer, but we had a power outage for 2 days and it thawed. I have been trying to pump some and its not really working. I am completely relaxed, and doing everything the same... I just cant get much out at all into the pump. What should I do ? Obviously if I cannot make enough by friday, I will not go. I know that I am feeding her enough - its just the issue of pumping enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some people just aren't good pumpers. I had that problem when I had my son(although now with my daughter I do better). I was working part time and in order for me to work 20 hours a week I had to pump every day, on the days I worked about 4 times and every day I was home 2 times. So, I'd just pump as much as possible to get as much milk.
    Another thing I did was that my son was sleeping through the night early on, so I'd wake up early in the morning and pump an hour or 2 before he woke up...for like 20 minutes. I pumped the most milk at that time(because my son didn't eat all night.
    Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• not sure if bump works for answers but here is a try...
    i can't get but about a 1/4 ounce so i would like to know also.
    heartlineMama

Answer by heartlineMama at 11:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Pump early in the morning. Also - what type of pump are you using? Manual or electric - for me electric makes all the difference.
    Myboysmom08

Answer by Myboysmom08 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• while she is feeding pump on the other side
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have good luck with both a Lansinoh manual and Avent manual pumps. You may be having trouble pumping because your milk isn't letting down. My doctor told me that sipping on a small glass of wine or beer (not a full one!!!) can help your milk to let down. Ask your doctor though because he/she may not agree with mine.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I was going to say the same as ColleenF30...that's what I do a lot of times. If I need to pump more than just to mix up cereal then I'll feed her and pump on the other side. I hope you find what works! :)
    nAfrenzy

Answer by nAfrenzy at 12:50 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I was having trouble producing, or so I thought a couple days ago and my mom said I prob just wasnt drink enough water. Sure enough, I drank a bunch of water, and my boobs felt like that were gonna explode the next morning! lol so that might help to produce more which would make pumping easier. Also try massaging your breasts in small circles while pumping. That helps my milk come down better. Good luck!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2008