Has anyone here did the atkins diet? if so, how much success have you had?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My office did it all together. I became very ill the first week, so had to stop. My co-worker lost bunches, really quick, but then wound up with kidney stones, and her doc got mad at her for doing Atkins . . . I guess it causes them sometimes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It is great for a crash start into another longer lasting more rounded diet.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 12:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My DH did it and his attitude got really nasty. My daughter started it about a month after him and the same thing happened. He lost a little but he was also put into an intensive excersize group in the military. He still didn't lose enough to reenlist.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My DH and I tried it. I had to stop after a week or a week and a half. That diet killed my kidneys. DH lost a bunch of weight and then got kidney stones. I, personally, don't think that it is a healthy diet.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i'm doing it now and i've lost one dress size in 2 months. For me, it's not so bad. the diet allows you to eat vegetables and fruit. havent had a problem with it. This is my second time doing it. The first time i did it was before i got pregnant, lost 20lbs, now that i've had my son, i decided to start up again. I would advise that you see a doctor before trying any diet and or exercise regimen.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 1:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Atkins = HORRIBLE for you!
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 2:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Years ago, before I lost a lot of weight, I asked my dr. about it. He categorically advised against it as being unhealthy and designed for failure unless you are also diabetic. I've since done further research into it as I've worked out what works for me, and I wouldn't suggest it for someone's dog.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• The Atkins is REALLY hard on your kidneys (as you can see from the previous answers!). Your body isn't designed to take in that much protein and use it for energy. In that process, your body creates a ton of ammonia (the same stuff you clean with), which the body has to find a way to get rid of, and that puts the kidneys into overdrive. You're better off doing something that you can stick with for the rest of your life, something that's more balanced. I am currently eating clean, which is all about portion sizes, getting rid of processed foods, and cutting out sugars, added sodium, processed/refined carbs and saturated fats. I would also say my diet is similar to the DASH diet, which is mostly fruits and vegetables, with some healthy grains and proteins. Very little meat. 65 lbs down so far!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I have a great option in my challenge journal on my page! Why don't ya take a look and let me know if you have any questions! =)
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 5:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2011