I can't afford my daughter's 3rd birthday party?

My daughter Aaliyah will be 3 on June 28th and I don't get my money till July 1st and it sucks that I can't have her party on her birthday. I have no money to get her a cake, ice cream, the pizza, and a tricycle I wanted to get her and I feel crappy. My rent went up this year by $100 and my money went to bills and rent, plus her father isn't any help either. Any advice?

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try the dollar store for a few decorations and just make a cake for her..shes 3 she wont know the difference.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I AGREE WITH AMBERLOVESHER3. SHE WLL NOT REMEMBER AS LONG AS SHE HAS A FEW PEOPLE SHE CAN PLAY WITH
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 12:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• First off, have you filed for getting child support? You'll get SOMEthing out of the dad most likely. It sounds like anything would help you out.
    Second, I know it sucks but...when you depend on others for your income...you probably are always going to live hand to mouth. There is no extra money for extras when you live this way. Don't you want something better for you and your child?? Get out of that mess!!! You're young...you could go far but you won't on the system.
    A cake mix is $4.00 at most $7.00 with icing too....can you bake her a cake yourself? Take her somewhere fun for her day...when you have no money for gifts...you have to be creative.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Either throw her party a few days later or do a homemade cake and friends meeting up at the park. We spent very little on Ds third b-day (and every birthday). As long as you make the day special for her it doesn't matter how much money you do or do not spend.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Are you working? I know how hard it is right now. I just applied for State Assistance. I have a full time job & I am working on putting my own business together as well. She is young, I am sure whatever you do for her she will be happy. Maybe have some of her friends over for a cookout......she can play outdoor games and hook up the sprinkler if you have one. :) I hope I was able to help a little bit.
    http://www.SuccessfulYoungLady.com
    SuccessYoungLdy

Answer by SuccessYoungLdy at 12:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Agree with bloomsr... birthdays are not about money, they are about love and life.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 12:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My granddaughter just had her party at my house a couple of months ago and her father and grandparents didn't show up. She was upset that they didn't come and bring her presents. I'll tell you what I told her. That it doesn't matter about the presents. Presents will be forgotten about but the people who were there to celebrate is what you will remember. You can do it cheaply as others suggested and you can wait for a couple of days. Birthdays around here seem to always fall on a weekday so we just have a little cake for us and plan a party on the weekend and it usually falls after the birthday. It'll be fun for her to have two cakes!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You dont need alot money to celebrate! You can still celebrate her, bake a cake, make what you can out of her special day, most of the time big elaborate parties are over the top anyway for a 3 year old, all you need is eachother to celebrate! Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I just had the same problem. My daughter turned three on june 2nd and I was broke. Luckily she was 3 and only cared about having everyone there for her and seeing her favorite horse decorations. You can make the cake and I had my mom who was a scrapbooker make the birthday banners. Luckily she helped a lot but as long as she is surrounded by loved ones who add giving her all the attention that's all that matters plus who cares if its not on.her birthday. My parties are never on my kids birthdays. So wait till the 1st and then you'll have more breathing room as far as money. Good luck sugar. You'll make it and she will love you just the same.
    Amanda A.

Answer by Amanda A. at 12:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• She's 3. She's not going to look at the calendar and be like "mom you forgot my birthday!"
    She's not going to remember it. Have it the week after... and who says you even have to have a party? Cake with family is all you need.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2011