Breastfeeding flashmob

Addressing a real stigma or just creating publicity for publicity's sake?

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/melanie-parentingcom/breastfeeding-flashmob-hits-uk-shopping-center?cid=fb

Do you encounter more people who are actually discriminated against for bf, or do you read about people who are seeking publicity about allegedly being discriminated against for bf?

(purposely in P&CE since it's a news article and I really don't care to reread the constant rehashed bf debate - I'm discussing bf publicity here, not whether or not breast is best)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally I think this is just a "look at me" kind of stunt. Here on CM we hear a lot more about those who think they are discriminated against if you dare mention that some discretion should be used.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I've breastfed so many places I can't even begin to count them and I've never been discriminated against except for one person and that is: my MIL! she is the only person who's ever had a problem with it. I don't understand the whole flash mob thing or the nurse-ins. Someone was mean to you, so you shove it in their face and get your friends to shove it their face too? Yah, that's sure to change their mind! *sarcasm*

I love BFing. I'm proud of how far we've made it (1 year tomorrow). it's what works for me and my family, BUT I don't feel the need to broadcast it to everyone in a mall.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it's ridiculous how few times I've seen a mother nurse her child in public. I've seen a LOT of babies with bottles, though. If we want more babies to be nursed (and we DO, because it keeps them healthier and alive... upward 900 babies per year die in the US as a direct result of not being breastfed), we need to normalize it and allow it to be seen as just what you do. And that means shoving it in some faces at first.

I don't flaunt my breastfeeding, but I don't hide it either. I nurse wherever we need to, without a cover. I'm not doing anything that needs to be covered in the first place. I have not been discriminated against, but I HAVE gotten a LOT of double takes and several dirty looks, but no one thinks twice about a baby with a bottle. that needs to change.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yeah, its for publicity. Some chicks who have no life except for their ability to breed and feed.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• " upward 900 babies per year die in the US as a direct result of not being breastfed"
    The only way for 900 babies to die of a "direct result" of not breastfeeding is if the kid starved to death. Picking a few illnesses that breastfeeding has shown to lower the risk of is not quite a solid study considering bf babies are also diagnosed with those same diseases. You can't just say X many kids died from asthma this year, breastfeeding can lower the risk of asthma, so therefore not breastfeeding is the cause of those deaths. Thats like saying I have never drank breastmilk, and I didn't get a raise at work. Since bf can be shown to raise your IQ, it's obvious i didn't get a raise because i didn't breast feed. No one can know if that child would have still gotten sick if he had breastfed. So you can't say not bf caused it;s death. If it did then no kid who has ever been bf would have asthma.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I've only been bfing for almost 5 weeks now. But in that amount of time I've had one nasty old man and several double takes while bfing in public. (I do use a cover and am very modest in pubic). I don't think I'd do a nurse in. I think shoving it down peoples throats is not going to change peoples minds. We just need better support from local and federal government to protect feeding rights.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• @ati....where did u get your statistics at?? 900 babies a year?? Come on. You also can keep a baby alive and well by noit smoking around them, actually do not smoke at all cause thr smoke still lingers on the clothes, no drugs, keep up with the well baby checks, and their shots ect.... I was only able to bf my dd for about a month cause I ended up drying up cause of the extreme anxiety I was feeling so I couldn't eat or really keeping anything down! My my dd is 2 now and only has been sick ONCE and except for a few colds here and there, the time she was sick is when she got the croup.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• @Salem...need support at the workplace also. I know a woman who was fired cause she had to take little 5 min break, give or take to pump her breasts in the woman's bathroom. Her bioss thought she wasn't performing as well as she should, and told her she was no longer an employee cause her job performance was lacking. She is currently with an atty and has a 99% sure win.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It is a look at me stunt. So many have a chip on their shoulder it is amusing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Attention seekers. Personally, I don't get why anyone would want to breastfed in public. At least without some discretion

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011