Whining Toddlers

My son just turned 2 and must have realized he gets to be terrible now:) How do dh and I deal with his whining and frequent tantrums? He'll get so upset in the morning if he doesn't get BOTH Elmo and Cars sippy cups and will just keep repeating "Cars, Cars, Cars" in the most awful whiny voice ever and cry. Any tips in general?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just make sure you get him the cup so you dont have to hear it lol
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• haha, well there is no reason he needs 2 sippy cups of milk every morning just to fulfill his whining!! I refuse to create a monster. That's just one example of the whining, he just wants his way on everything - and we do give him some things because it's hard for little ones if they never get what they want, but I will not give in to everything just to avoid hearing him whine!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• don't ever give in and don't react in any way to the whining. continue on as if he were behaving. we use time outs when our 2yo whines for no reason, we implemented it around 20mo and it has worked very well, she is 27mo and rarely acts out. be consistent and he will learn.
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 1:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Just tell him to stop whining. That's what I did to my kids. I told them if they whine they don't get anything. They began talking without whining. It was that simple.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• The best way to end it is by not responding to it. Just say, you have to talk to me, I don't hear whining. Then tell him very firmly no when he talks to you and asks for the second cup, and never ever give him something just to shut him up!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It's really helpful to repeat back to them what they are saying acknowledge so they know you understand, also I recommend choices for two reasons 1 good practice for future choices 2 if you offer cars cup or other fav. he gets to feel in control (haha & you still have all the control) always pick two things you want him to choose then let him choose. This works wonders for all ages especially 2 years old
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I give my daughter choices (eg...do you want the ELMO or the Cars cup?). If she still continues to whine and demand both cups of milk, I'd raise my voice to tell her she needs to stop or go cry in her room or bathroom. That usually ends the whining because she knows I'm upset and doesn't want to be in the bathroom or her room by herself. She's 2 and 1/2.
    Lakazmommi3

Answer by Lakazmommi3 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• We let our daughter have choice of two things. If she whines, we'll tell her we can't understand what she's saying and she needs to ask nicely so we can understand. If the answer is no and she continues whining or throws a fit, she gets a warning to calm down or go to her room-if she doesn't calm down she gets time out for a few minutes. I also find that making sure she isn't over tired, hungry, or otherwise not feeling well cuts down on whining. She whines more if she is tired, hungry, sick feeling, or hasn't gotten a lot of one on one attention.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2011