Ok so my SO proposed to me

soo long ago and i thought it was during sex but he claims it was before, so....should i have him do it again on a day that will become our anniversary?
or is that dumb, cuz we don't have an anniversary date either and we've been together 4 years. sad i know, but i want both of us to remember the proposal in the same way, which is impossible unless we re-enact it or something

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• You can't erase life. Just move forward. Don't get too caught up in dates and such. Anniversaries are just days to celebrate your love. To stand back and see how far you've come. Just worry about the next step, not how to change the past.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 3:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Does it really make a difference? I would count when he gives you a ring and proposes to you. Good to you both.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Why not set a wedding date and have that be your anniversary?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 3:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I thought my proposal was lame too. So I asked him to do it over, more romantically. His plan was to be on his knee when I stepped out of the shower, but it was a disaster. Not only did he scare me to death, but I almost tripped over him getting out. It still didn't make me forget the 1st one, either.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yeah, that's a better idea, make it the ring giving thing. Have him get down on one knee to some romantic music, over dinner in a fancy restruant or something! :D It really doesn't matter. My DH and I have very different recollections of our first discussions of marriage, but who cares - we've been married 21 years.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• That thought won't disappear just because he redoes it. It's still going to be there.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 3:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• lol either way its up to me, i just want to erase the fact i thought he did it while we had sex, its so stuck in my head that way! but i believe him that it wasn't just want that thought to go away
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Don't worry about it. Your anniversary will be the day you get married, you can have your memory and he can have his but reenacting it would make it fake. If you love eachother and you want to be together for the rest of your lives that is not something you should ever have to worry about, you will make plent more REAL memories anyway, that you will both remember in the same way.
    nikkis23

Answer by nikkis23 at 5:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughterahaha Keisha sorry to laugh but that just made my night!!!

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• What I wanted for a proposal was a ring hidden inside a dessert at a fancy restaurant or inside a fake Chinese food box. If not that then some grand gesture or being asked on some special date or in some special place. What I got was my DH all nervous on the couch. He was going to ask on Valentine's Day, but couldn't wait and asked on the 13th. Instead of asking me he handed me a reused slip of notebook paper with it written on it. He knew what I would say because we had been looking at rings for a couple months. He also didn't buy me any of the rings I picked out.

My point is, we don't always get the proposal we want or hope for. The important part is getting the proposal and the love behind it. Once you have your actual wedding, how he proposed becomes so much less important. We have been married for 10 years. I have only been asked twice how my DH proposed since we got married anyway.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 7:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2011