Science Saved My Soul adult content

Video

This video, titled Science Saved My Soul,  is almost 15 minutes long, but well worth the time. Personally, it brings tears to my eyes, but maybe I'm just a sap. 

I'm curious about your thoughts on it, and if there are any points you find debatable, like " the material of a baby being 13 billion years old."

Enjoy.

*be warned that there are two curse words in the video.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "What science fails to explain is how the bang happened to begin with. You can't get something out of nothing. Something had to have been created for a bang to happen. Only God can create."

You are right that science can't explain what came before the big bang, but you are wrong in assuming "something had to have been created". That's a very arrogant and far-reaching assumption to make when you aren't even knowledgeable enough to completely understand the science that went into discovering the big bang (and neither am I). All you can assume is that we don't now yet.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I liked the pictures of the universe they were beautiful. I still don't see the connection between science and believing in God. My religion is not at odds with science. I have a science background, I appreciate our universe and all it's complexities.

I also understand the Big Bang theory and this doesn't change my belief in God. What the Big Bang can't explain yet is where the singularity came from in the first place, this is where the laws of physics break down. Someday we might have more science to explain it but using the Big Bang to disprove God just doesn't work. I happen to believe God created the universe but he didn't create it in chaos, he created it using a mathematical language, because he is just that awesome.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• There is room for science and faith to go hand in hand. One doesn't have to preclude or exclude the other or cancel the other out. One can believe in the Big Bang while still believing in some kind of Prime Mover, Who caused the Bang. One does not have to reject science to believe, merely have faith that out of all we have yet to discover, there is still the possibility of something More being out there.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I also found it interesting that the author only has a problem with organized religion in particular Islam and Christianity. If you believe in God but aren't part of these two religions than he doesn't seem to have a problem.  He should use his science to really understand these religions instead of feeding into stereotypes.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• "Only God can create"

I always wonder why this is so easily accepted, stated as fact, but there is never an answer to what created "god" beyond "god just always was".  Why is that the fallback response?  Why is it easier to accept the eternal existence of a god for these people, but never accepted that other matter existed without a creator?  Who or what created the creator?  In the Theory of Evolution, something better and more efficient comes from the product it evolved from.  It seems a bit backward to think that something so evolved that it could create everything came before the creations that had to go through the process of evolution.

It was a beautiful video, by the way--very moving!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• What science fails to explain is how the bang happened to begin with. You can't get something out of nothing. Something had to have been created for a bang to happen. Only God can create.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• All you can assume is that we don't now yet

~~ I know, that's why I said just that, and I don't know how believing in God is arrogant, it seems just the opposite to me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I am wondering if anyone can explain the soul from a scientific point of view. Would they say it is the same as the personality or different? If it is just a series of neurochemical reactions and electrical impulses, was it ever in need of being saved?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I believe "soul" from the scientific point of view would relate to the brain or consciousness, and has no supernatural connotation. Most animals (perhaps all?) have it--it's what gives us the ability to think and act. It is not something that is separate from the body that is somehow "freed" upon our bodies' demise. As such, it has no need of "being saved".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Maybe the "soul" is simply the awareness of our godliness. The instinctual connection we have with the Universe.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2011