Is there a responsibility, or is it on the users?

There is often bad advice given here, and in some areas, that's not necessarily a tragic thing. In others, when it comes to things like the HCG diet or certain parenting practices, the results can be fatal, or at least permanently damaging. Should there be a responsibility on the site to censor those answers, or is the responsibility on each individual to research the answers they get beyond what's in the answers? Where is the line?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in About CafeMom

• It's a public forum and unfortunately there are some who say things unecessary. But I feel it's up to the user to filter through the advise given and follow up with Google, Webmd etc. or even their Dr. to make sure they are doing the right thing. This shouldn't be CM's job to sensor all the answers. There is a report question/answer if anyone with a right mind feels it's necessary should the answers get out of hand.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it is up to each individual user to not take the word of a complete stranger on their medical or parenting advice. Just because a person on here Says they are a Doctor/pediatrician etc in no way makes that an actual and true statement. I could tell you all I'm an astrophysicist and how would you know whether or not that was true or false?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• it's up to the user.. cafemom has done all they can with the vote-downs and vote-ups but if someone cant look up the information they are given it's a sad day.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it is the members responsibility to research an answer and not take the word of anyone in some instances.

Answer by older at 6:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I sometimes read questions and answers that scare me. I can't believe you would even consult people on a public forum with a health question rather than call your dr. Usually when I tell someone to go to the ER for something I feel could be fairly serious my answer gets voted down. And even if someone is a doctor or nurse they are not authorized to diagnose anyone over the internet. If the person died as a result of their advice there could be legal consequences.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 6:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it's up to the individual user. After all, if you were, say, sitting at the park or at a McDonald's playland, watching your kid play and was chatting with the women on the benches next to you, would you be responsible for your choice to take their advice or not, or would you think it was the responsibility of the city who owned the park, or was McDonald's responsibility?

I agree there needs to be a line, but honestly, I think that there has been too much "passing the buck" of responsibility - it's not our fault that our kids are overweight - it's fast food's fault, because they put the toys in. It's not our fault that we're broke, it's the credit card companies, it's not our fault that our kids got sick - we took the advice of some stranger on the internet without looking more into it.... We need to start owning our actions and having personal accountability, imo.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It is up to the individual. They would get the same bad advice anywhere online. Personal responsibility.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• pook said it...personal responsibility. its on the user's head to choose the advice and adhere to it, or not. frankly, i'm stupified that anyone in crisis and dire medical emergency even has the wherewithall to log-on to an internet site to ask advice for their situation, rather than call 911/their md/etc...i'm apathetic and cynical by nature, so when i read a question in that manner, i'm inclined to think the emergency isn't as 'emergent' ) as the poster thinks, but rather they are dramatic girls, or bored. or just plain stupid.
    sorry, i digressed a bit...i liken this to sueing McDs for hot coffee burns, or sueing tobacco companies for lip cancer/etc. oh i know some suits get won by ignorant people, which forever stumps me..PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. that's the ticket.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• dullscissors said it best.....personal responsibility is the key to all of this....

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it's up to each individual....people need to use their common sense.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2011