What are your opinions on these screening test?

The AFP, aka: the triple screen, & the quad screen tests seems nerve wrecking. I'm 14wks now, and I'm due to go back @ 16wks...but seriously thinking of not having these tests done. I'm 26 yrs old...and I just don't feel comfortable with this screening test.

DavaneeKalei

Asked by DavaneeKalei at 7:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I refused them all. It wasn't going to change anything; I would have kept the pregnancy anyway and they have an extremely high rate of false positive which I feel cause a lot of unnecessary stress during the pregnancy. I just told them that if they saw any congenital defects on the sonogram like heart/organ/bone issues they could let me know, otherwise to just not mention it. I wanted to focus on my happiness over the baby and not the "what ifs".
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I didn't do them myself. My doctor explained they had a lot of false positives and talked to me about the stress it could have. Plus, I agree with Kimedbs it would have changed anything.....I was still going to be her mommy. Good luck to you, I know it can be stressful.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 8:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i got thse done with both of mine...i wanted to know if i was going to have a special needs baby or not..and i found out that my dd was immune to a certin virus and that i didnt need a nueral testing done wit this one bc my dd was neg and it doesnt change with pregancys...i dnt see how these test mess with anyone happiness?? but i always got my testin done because i wanted to know if i needed to get any extra help and all this for me it was a peace of mind...but toyally ur choice
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I did not have any testing done with my first and I will not with this one. My mom went through all the tests the last time she was pregnant and the doctor told her with all certainty that my brother was going to have Down Syndrome. He pushed for abortion, but my mom refused. My brother is now a happy, healthy boy with absolutely NO sign of Down Syndrome or any other issue. I do not trust their results. 

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I didn't do them. They aren't always accurate and some docs will recommend abortion. Some women have gone through with it and found there was nothing wrong with the baby and then had to live with that. It didn't matter to me how my baby was born, I was going to have them anyway and the only thing it would have done was make me worry.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• thank you all for your opinions. I have came to the conclusion that I will not be having these screening tests either. Thank you...your opinions made me feel that I was not the only one making this decision.
    DavaneeKalei

Comment by DavaneeKalei (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011