Do you throw birthday parties every year for your kids?

I haven't since my youngest turned 1 (she will be 4 this year) and everyone always asks if i am having a birthday party this year. my kids will be 6 and 4. I still say nope, I will make a cake, we will go out to dinner and give presents, but I don't like throwing parties with a lot of kids and people in the house. I don't think one is needed every year.

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Needed or not, I celebrated my girls birthday for 7 years straight, I celebrated for both of them with a massive ordeal of a party, renting amusement park rides, cotton candy machines, you name it, and it was around Halloween so we had a costume party. These parties have become memories they both cherish, I stopped them when my father died unexpectedly and I was never again in the party mood, then they got to old and threw them teens party. My son who came late in life had less elaborate birthdays only because my friends had children who were mostly older than him.  I enjoyed each and every one of those birthdays as much as they did.

Answer by older at 9:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes,but just small gatherings for family

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My kids are grown now but, yes- i always threw them a party- some years they were bigger than others- i still try to make their day extra special:)

Answer by daisyb at 10:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes, 2 parties. 1 with his friends and another small get together with the fam. For me celebrating my son's birth is something that's very special to me. It's the one thing that I really try to go all out for.

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• yes i had two parties . the 1st birthday was small but perfect and the 2nd birthday was a little bigger but it was just family. again perfect for her age and everyone had a great time. 3rd birthday will have to plan to be a little bigger but it might still be the same or we might do two jus every year. one in her daycare and one at my grandma's apartment since she can't really go any place. but my parties are pizza and cake.

Answer by lambdarose at 9:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• we throw family parties every year. we haven't actually done a friend party until this year when DD starts kindergarten

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yep having one today for my 22 yr old in fact. We do them every year.

Answer by gemgem at 9:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think once they start having friends, then maybe I can reconsider my decision. But I live 100 miles away from my very small family and they aren't all coming here for just a birthday party. A lot of my friends don't have kids, so it will just be us anyway. I make a big deal about it, with balloons, cake, presents and dinner. But we are never going to have a lot of people in our lives. That is just the reality.

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I always make sure the kids get a great birthday party. Why? Life. You just don't know what the next day will bring, or how long your loved ones will be here. I know I'm reaching out there a bit far, but I really try to make sure their birthdays are celerated every year. The little one birthday is in October, 10 days before Halloween, and we go all out with hers. We create a haunted house theme and everybody dress up in costumes. It's really fun when hers come around. Last year we ordered a jack-o-lantern chocolate cake with orange creme filling. I think we'll do the same cake this year. Anyway, just try to make sure you celebrate your kids birthday every year, it really create fun memories.

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I do with family, but if I wanted to have the whole family involved then I would have to throw 2 different parties for each child because my step mother won't be in the same location as my mom. It really sucks for the kids though.

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2011