What is the best low impact workout?

My friend just had knee surgery and we want to get into a workout together when she recovers. We both need it badly. I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize her knees.

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Hands down, swimming. She can use her knees if she wants, but if not, she can do "pulls," which are when you put a float between your legs and just swim with your arms. Either way, it's not a lot of impact on the knees, but I know that early in recovery, it might be best to go easy. She should also ask her physical therapist (I assume after surgery she's going to see a PT). They will have good ideas that will be tailored to her needs. Cycling will be good once she's more mobile, without putting a lot of impact on her knees.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Swimming is a great low impact exercise if you have a pool available.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I LOVE the stationary bicycle at the gym....it is good on the knees, and hips too.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Those little trampolines (rebounders) are very low impact, great for all fitness levels. Swimming is good too.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 7:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011