Aspergers children on meds.

My son is only on meds for ADHD. Because he is getting older and bigger, it is very hard to deal with him during a meltdown. Summer is hard for him because he gets bored which causes a meltdown. School has only been out 3 weeks and he has had 7 episodes! The worst one 3 days ago sent us to ER because he put his fist thru his bedroom window. We have set up a meeting with all his professionals next week to discuss putting him on something to help control his anger and meltdowns. Has any of you had to put your child on meds to help calm him down?? I am worried and scared to take this step but dont know what else to do. Anyinput would help! Thanks

kathy4230

Asked by kathy4230 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I've never has to put my son on meds. But under the circumstances, for his safety, I think you doing the right thing. Good luck, Momma.hugs

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Aggressive behaviors, and self-injury behaviors which are becoming totally out of control and after behavioral interventions have failed to work, and after no indication that medical conditions might be the consequence of these problematic behaviors are treated with Psychiatric Medication Regimen. A Psychiatrist (not a psychologist, not a neurologist, not a developmental ped) is the right specialist to prescribe the regimen. Usually is not about one pill only but a "cocktail". Some medications work to bring balance in the brain. Some work with blood vessels. Some elevate or lower body hormones, etc. Once you start taking it be constant and wait at least 3-4 months to expect noticeable improvement. Be careful with taking off the medication suddenly. If you are going to stop is going to be by lowering the dose little by little. The doctor will explain this to you. Good Luck!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• my aspie son thats meds to controll his temper and calm him down (he's 9) they work wonders for him , but that being said you also have to have great OT for him to because part of the issue is him learning what to do and how to control a meltdown.....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Join the aspergers and autism groups.....im sure you could get way more info there.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2011