Any dandruff remedies?

I have really bad dandruff(my scalp is basically covered in a layer of dead skin). I have tried numerous different dandruff shampoos to no avail.....even expensive prescription ones. My dandruff seems to get even worse when I am pregnant, which I am right now. Anyone know of anything else that I can try? I hate having such bad dandruff, I can't run my fingers through my hair without flakes falling, it is so embarrassing!

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 9:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• vinegar, good smelling kind..apple or somethin like that
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Have you tried tea tree oil shampoos? We use them.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Tea tree oil that has been diluted. I also read you can add a few drops in shampoo to and it works well. I suggest googling tea tree oil
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 1:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Have you ever had a Dermatologist diagnose it as dandruff?   It's possible that it may be Psoriasis or something more invasive than just  dandruff.  If it's diagnosed as dandruff, Try to avoid hash soaps, creams and greasy ointments..... As a treatment you can try Tea Tree, flax seed, primrose, or salmon oils to relieve the itching and inflammation and promote healthier scalp.  Taking kelp, BVitamins,such as B6, B12 and Vitamin E for healthy skin and hair.  Selenium, an antioxidant, may be taken to control drying of the scalp.  Also, you can mix 8 Tbsp pure organic peanut oil withthe juice of half a lemon, blend well, apply to scalp and allow to work for 10 minutes, then wash with a mild shampoo and  condition as usual, mix 2 ozs. vinegar with a glass of water pour this mixture over the conditioner and then rinse with warm water. 

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 9:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• After washing your hair, blow dry your roots, then use the dryer on "cool" to cool your scalp off so it doesn't get sweaty. The fungus that your scalp is reacting to LOVES wet, moist skin.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I use Dr. Bronners's Shikakai soap followed by The conditioning rinse. I had the same problem and it went away after one use.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 9:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You might not have dandruff, that's probably why the dandruff shampoos aren't helping. I have noticed on my clients that truly had dandruff, the flakes were large and sticky, very sticky and clumpy as compared to my clients who just had extreme dry scalp. Have you tried moisterizing shampoos? It's just a suggestion.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Try a tea tree oil shampoo, being sure to lather twice. Shampoos don't penetrate the skin very well, if at all, if lathered once.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 1:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• tea tree oil
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011