What are your house rules?

I will have an 18 year old tomorrow!!!! UGH!!!

What are your house rules for adult children still living at home?

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• 18 and a High school graduate - Let SOMEONE (doesn't have to be me) know where you are for emergencies sakes. Do not wake your younger siblings when you come home. No illegal drugs and no underaged drinking will be tolerated. While living under the roof, you will be responsible for keeping your room clean, doing your own laundry, and helping scrub the shared bathroom. You will also be asked to bear the burden of other chores around the house in lieu of rent, provided you are enrolled in a local college. No college enrollment - you MUST get a job and then rent will be negotiable IF you are willing to do chores above and beyond the up keep of your room, laundry, and bathroom. You will be asked to join us for one dinner time meal a week as you are still family and still living under our roof.

18 and not yet graduated from High School - the rules didn't change at all.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You have to work or go to school to live here.
    You have to respect me the same as you did before you were 18
    I know you dont need my permission but let me know your plans, it just makes good sense in the event of an emergency. Its what adults do.
    No drinking unless your are over 21, and if you still choose to plan to spend the night and not drive drunk or Ill cancel your insurance
    No trouble with the law please. I expect you to be an upstanding citizen or atleast try to be.
    Safe sex is best, if you plan to have sex wear a condom and if you get someone pregnant your ass is mine.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

Answer by gemgem at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• To always, always let someone know where you are and can be reached. It isn't because we want to control. It is because we need to know in case of emergency. Either your emergency or parental emergency. You never know when someone is rushed to hospital, there is a fire, or an accident of any sort. Besides, it is only common courtesy and show of respect to let one another know. If you cannot do that, then you should be out on your own.
    dvaiden

Answer by dvaiden at 10:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• The rules that my parents have always had for over 18 is while you are in high school (and there is no way you could support yourself) you are NOT and adult, same rules. When you graduate, you go to college or you get a job and pay rent. Either way you are expected to keep your room clean, do a fair share of chores and your own laundry.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• P.S Mine dont pay rent and I do their laundry just because its easier for me. I want them to be successful people and mine will be in college so I am relieving as much stress as I can for him.

Answer by gemgem at 10:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i agree with all 3 of above replys so combine them and make them the golden rules of the house......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Has a curfew,has to be attending school,a job,help pay rent or some bill,contribute to cleaning,bathroom,washing clothes,no drugs,no drinking,no cussing,pays for own gas for car,no friends over without permission.if all rules are respect I would help out finacially as a reward.
    MizzMejia

Answer by MizzMejia at 11:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Go to college, be respectful, clean up after yourself, come home at a decent hour (cause there are too many drunks on the road late at night), be grateful for the opportunity to live comfortably for free.
    home12

Answer by home12 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011