How does a single mom / grandmom potty train a boy with no man actively around the child?

dvaiden

Asked by dvaiden at 10:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just like you would any child. Teach him to sit. Boys don't NEED to learn to stand to pee yet.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Same as you do a girl. They dont start standing until later.

Answer by gemgem at 10:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• im not sure but i got my 3 year old brother to use the potty and noone else in my family could lol
    hopeful_mommy_

Answer by hopeful_mommy_ at 10:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My husband was deployed when I potty trained our son. I just taught him to sit down in the potty. He was about 4 or 5 when he started standing up to potty.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• u potty train them to sit when they get older they will learn to stand for that they have pee rings for the potty.. tell him to aim at the rings:) u can even use cheerios.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I potty trained both of my boys and this is how i did it. First we went shopping for underwear and stickers. Then we put a calendar up in the bath room and every time they went they put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they got a special treat, like going for ice cream or having their favorite dinner. When they first start they sit down and you just have to teach them to make sure their penis is in the toilet. I never used a little potty they always used the normal toilet in the house.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My MIL was a single mom and just taught him to sit on the toilet. He still prefers it to this day and omg I love that he does! I never EVER have to worry about the seat being up and have never had to wipe pee up from the side of the toilet. I love my hubby lol.
    But really, I've been told just to teach them sitting, they pick up standing later on. Even my mom who wasn't a single parent just potty trained my brothers to sit on the toilet... if only they stayed that way because they have no sense of aim what so ever.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Just as the other mommies said, no differently than you would a girl.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think cornflakegirl has covered the basics. The only difference between a girl and a boy is that you have to make sure the boy's wiener is aimed correctly (teach him to point it after doing it yourself to start with - sorry if that sounds like a *phew!* but it's necessary) - otherwise he'll spray everywhere. Make sure you put newspaper around the potty the first few times in case even your own aiming is off! Try to encourage him to sit down for as long as you can. Standing up to pee not only results in drips and squirts all over the bathroom, it encourages them to think they are more important than us. (In case I sound like a catty middle-aged feminist, I speak from experience!)
    JanJan101

Answer by JanJan101 at 7:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2011