A son is a son until he takes a wife but a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life.

Do you think this saying is true?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 10:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yep. I know it is. My dd is 22 and I have gained a son. My almost 18 yr old has a serious gf and I hardly see him, hes with her family. We get along great though (gf and me) so hopefully as time goes on and they get older theyll come around more if they stick together. The other saying is
    Marry a daughter gain a son. Marry a son gain a daughter. It is true.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Nope, and I never heard that before. My sons are my sons forever wife or no wife.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Pretty much. Couples do tend to spend more time with her side of the family. But it isn't always true. Depends on the relationship between the mother and daughter in law. Of course, men who grew up in shadow of mama, tend to be classified as mama boys, but even that isn't necessarily true. My husband and I spent a great deal of time with his mother. She lived close to us. But I talked on phone with my mom every day. I tried to stay as close to one as to the other as I could. My daughter spent more time with my mother in law. But she had no grandchildren and didn't work. My daughter was the only grandchild she ever had, while my mother had several grandchildren and a full time job.
    dvaiden

Answer by dvaiden at 10:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• nope, once my baby always my baby.. daughter or son, it doesn't matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• That is what people say but I think if you have a close relationship with your son, he will always be yours no matter how many wives........

Answer by older at 10:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It is not true in my family. I have 2 sons and 1 daughter, and they all check on Mom and Dad, and it was the same with my husband and his parents. I think a lot of how it goes down may depend on the wives the sons marry and how difficult or not those women make it for sons to maintain relationships with their own families.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Well every wedding I've ever been to says they both leave their parents to become one. Regardless, it doesn't mean the relationship is cut off.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Nope! My sons will be my sons forever
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• An old Irish saying. ((I tried to find some history on it but couldn't , other than it's Irish)) I think it depends on the relationship today though. Alot of men need to establish their own family, but alot women still seem to need their family (mothers' especially, I think). Our situation is that it's true for DH but not true for me. I need my own family(DH & children) and do not still need my mother or family much. Of course, I didn't have ideal childhood/teen conditions with parents either. It sounds really nice though, LOL.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2011