I've punished them, now i'm wondering if i should even take ds to see Cars 2 today.

The rule is if the kids wake up before me, ds is 4, dd is almost 3, then they have to come wake me up. this has always been the case, until today. This morning, i wake up to dd's voice, calling ds's name. i immediatly get up, thinking she's going to wake ds up. i find out this is not the case. instead, i find them red handed. they had gotten up, taken down the hallway gate, got into the fridge (which is another rule they disobeyed), took ALL the yogurt, opened them, got spoons for each one, and were in the process of eating them, while trying to figure out how to put cartoons on the tv, looking at me with yogurt faces. I was so mad, i sent them to their room, told them to sit on the floor. i took a time out to calm myself down...after calming down, i went in their room, explained to them in detail what they did that made mommy very mad and upset with them, and explained they were going to get a spanking. i then had them turn around and put their hands on their bed, so i would not accidently get their hands. afterwards, i took them potty, washed their hands and their faces, and now they are sitting on their beds, waiting for me to decide what to do next. not as in punishment, i just don't think they deserve to play or watch cartoons...they need to at least clean their mess up first.

we were going to take ds to see the movie Cars 2 today, but now i'm even wondering if we should...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you punished them unjustly for being independent - which is going to happen as they get older, mama!

Take them to the movie.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't personally. they all know what they did is wrong. wait for DVD or go at another date
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I would go on another date, if not they will be getting mixed signals.

Answer by older at 10:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• the way u make it sound, the kids did something so bad it ended the world.. YOU DO NOT PUNISH A CHILD ALL DAY WHEN THEY ARE ONLY 3 AND 4 take them to the movie.. You over reacted if you ask me.. They will forget what happened this morning. its why you only leave them in time out for 3 n 4 mins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• They disobeyed your rules, that deserves punishment. But you already punished them. You explained it to them and spanked them, that's enough IMO. I have a four year old, and I probably would have done the same as you if I found him in our kitchen eating all our yogurt, making a mess, like you did. But for a child, that's enough. Especially the four year old. They don't need to be "grounded" at that age, which is essentially what you're doing by keeping them home.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i suggest taking them at a later date....my kids did this a few times when they were the same age and they were punished by not being able to do the days activities
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• well they're playing now, after they've cleaned their mess up. i'll more than likely take him to see Cars 2 later today, as for now i'm still in calming down mode.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• did you ever consider that they may have tried to wake you up but you didnt get up, and that they were hungry? I can understand your frustration but you spanked them, that is a punishment, why punish them more?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I woud take them to see cars, they disobeyed your rules this morning, you have punished them for it. I would move on with the day. They are still young, and I dont think at that age a punishment should last much longer, After the spanking they should be forgiven.
    MadreMas

Answer by MadreMas at 10:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• no, they even admitted they didn't try to wake me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2011