Can a person who doesn't believe the Quran is a moral book really understand it fully?

Or can an atheist fully grasp and understand the meanings and message in the Bible if the person doesn't believe the Bible is the Word and inspired by God?

Do you think it is really possible to understand a holy book, the meanings and interpretations if you believe them to be fairytales, myths or a collection of man made articles? Is it fair for a person who does not look at the Quran in the same way as a Muslim to interpret and give meaning to the book? Or any religious book for that matter?

I have seen a person pull out a Bible verse and insist it means something but not even believe the Bible is the inspiration of God. I have seen a verse pulled out from the Quran and used as a way to prove the religion is violence but not even believe the Quran is a sacred book. Is it fair for a Christian to insist they have more knowledge than a Muslim on the Quran?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It depends on the book and it depends on the person reading it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Than clearly you did not understand the legends and myths.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it's possible, but it is also possible to get it completely wrong. It really boils down to the intent of the person and them twisting whatever information to suit their own agenda. Some are good, some are bad. To claim that you have to "believe" in the religion in order to understand it's words is a far cry. Though I will say that no religious text is meant to be read and interpreted in a literal fashion and those that do are far off the mark of the intended message.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Can you interpret the Bible with imagination? --

people do it all the time! you have to..the times, the cultures, etc. things are different in some instances, and in others, they aren't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think it's fair to say that most Atheists were, at some point in their lives, Christian or followed some Abrahamic religion. I think it's also fair to say that with that background, most of us were - and still are - very well acquainted with the Bible and had much instruction in it through church, Sunday School, VBS and other immersion. I recited the Nicene Creed by rote, as well as other prayers and knew verses by heart, and thought I actually believed what I was instructed to repeat. I have several editions of the Bible in my home. It is because I studied the Bible and began to look at it with a critical eye that I lost my faith.

On the flip side, are you suggesting that all Christians blindly accept and follow the words of the Bible?  Because there are many who frequent this forum who insist that they have questioned but have always returned to their faith. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• So because you cannot understand something outside your own beliefs, you think that applies to all? You're only focusing on "one line'.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Understanding something fully doesn't really have anything to do with believing it.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• its all about context..and imagination. i can read Ann Rice books all day long, fully grasp the concepts and characters, even pull for the underdog..or nemesis, if the character is colorful enough to seduce me..and i don't believe in vampires/etc at all!

SSDD, imo.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• As far as your question regarding atheists and the bible...I didn't start out an atheist. I was raised catholic and went to catholic school. As I grew older and decided the catholic religion was not for me, I searched out other christian based denominations. As I continued to search, the more I grew away from believing. So, yes an atheist can understand the bible. We usually have knowledge about what the bible teaches because we didn't start out atheist...in my case, you can say part of the reason WHY I am atheist IS the bible.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I did believe the bible as the word until I started doing my research instead of blindly believing everything that was taught to me. Now I see it for what it is...a book written by men...period...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2011