How do you best approach your daycare provider?

My children go to a wonderful daycare. They love her and she seems to love them. My problem is this: her schedule keeps conflicting with mine. She closes early a lot. She takes a lot of days off (all state holidays 2 weeks a year plus personal days) and it is making it hard to schedule my work and appointments around her. I just don't know what to do. I feel finacially responsible towards her as well as I like her. So any suggestions would be nice. (for the record I do understand that she needs a break too, and her kids should be a priority as well. but at what point point should I say "this isn't working right now")

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• Ummm, I would find a new daycare provider immediately. Not only does her lackadaisical(sp?) attitude affect your work schedule, but it must be confusing to your child, as well, who doesn't know what to expect from day to day or week to week. Young children like to know what's coming and they like predictability because it helps them feel safe. You can keep her as a friend and just tell her that you're looking for a place that's a little more structured and offers more school days throughout the year but that your child has had a wonderful time at her school.
    Mamamiacher

Answer by Mamamiacher at 5:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I had this same problem. She should have had everything out in writing before you signed any agreement to put your child there. My provider was great at first, closed on holidays same as my schedule. She also closes for one week of training every year. Now she's getting older and health issues are arising, but i was saved by the fact we are moving. If your situation is not working you can talk to her and she may suggest you go elsewhere. That's what my provider said to do.
    Anonymous

• Your paying her, just come out with it...be tactful but serious about your concerns.
    mekubeku

Answer by mekubeku at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• God knows childcare providers do need those vacay times & holidays or else we'd go NUTS quickly.

Maybe ask if she has someone to come in during those times she leaves early that can work until closing, of course along side of an aide or someone like that who is generally there with the chidlren. & ask for a weekly/monthly schedule from her so you can plan accordingly...She may not realize how much her schedule or lack there of is affecting the famiilies she provides care for, also it's hard sometimes to find but try to get a backup person or someone that can pick your child up if she closes early & you cant get there in time due to work. If in the end things just dont work start looking for another good quality care facility that you and your child are comfortable with and works with your schedule...Good Luck
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 7:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Sit down with her alone (go talk before your baby knows you're there to pick her up maybe) and go over your calendar.

Just go, ok on this date, you're closing early, right? and on this date, you'll be closed? and after you get it all out there say what you need to:

"I don't think I am going to be able to swing this."
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Okay, I just answered this and it's not showing up. So I must hove messed up.

I just went thru this this week with my in-home daycare. The holidays & vacation was agreed upon at time of enrollement, so no suprises. Luckily, she always gives us at least 6mo notice. She also schedules her appts during nap time so that her certified helpers can assist. Does your provider have certified helpers? If not it could be worth her looking to. Mine has her 2 teens & mom as backups in case of any emergencies.

If she is not willing to, then you need to sit down with her & let her know you can't afford to take time of.
    Jesstsilly

Answer by Jesstsilly at 2:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• as soon as its not working for you then you need to let them know that its not working for you.there is no point in waisting her time or her waisting yours.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 9:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I feel that when you chose a day care provider, you have agreed to their terms and if it doesn't work for you, you need to change it. My mom watches my kids so I get lucky. But she is getting older so I put my oldest dd is daycare for most of the day, on the days my mom watches her. My way of saying I don't think you can handle it and I am in control...not you.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2008