How can i get my baby to sleep at night and in her bed?

my 4 month old baby girl did not want to sleep last night unless i held her all night. when ever i would put her down she would wake up crying. this happened all night. she is fine today but i am exhaustated. i don't know if she was sick or just restless. or if she can be spoiled already. did anyone else experience this and how did you solve this?

lifeisgreatbut.

Asked by lifeisgreatbut. at 11:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Has she been sleeping by herself except for last night? What is typical for her? Maybe she just wasn't feeling well. Continue with your sleep routine tonight and see if it happens again.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• shes been sleeping with us because shes been sick but now dont sleep well at night unless in my arms
    lifeisgreatbut.

Comment by lifeisgreatbut. (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh this sounds all to common. This is what i did with my kids If they went to bed crying cause they wanted me hold them i just layed them down, told them night night and walked out of the room. This took several nights of doing this before they caught on to the concept of falling asleep without me holding them. If you want your baby to sleep in his/her own bed you have to be consistent and put them to bed at the same time everynight and tell them night night. lol ......Promise it works.

Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• try just nap times in the bed for starters, then slowly at night add one part of bed time into the routine (for example, the first night, try to get her in there in the early morning hours, when you know she's out out, and can be moved without waking, so she wakes up in her own bed, then add a little more time each night.. it'll take a few days to maybe a few weeks, but if you stick with it, it'll work out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes, you need to break the new sleep habit she has gotten used to. Amber is correct in that you need to have a consistent routine and put her to bed and let her readjust. It might take a few fussy nights but it will work. GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 12:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• She is NOT spoiled. She's normal. This is how babies are programmed. No need to break her of anything. When you go with their programming, you will have less night waking and getting up.

Check out Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Not spoiled, just a baby. She's probably still adjusting to some extent- nine ish months in the womb is long compared to four months out. Have you tried swaddling her? That worked really well with my second when I was at work and she needed to sleep- swaddle, lay on her right side on a lap, then sway her back and forth- worked every time. She still calms down when I do that, and she hasn't needed swaddling in over a month (she's 6 months now) She just needed to feel safe and cozy.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2011