How do you keep your house clean with kids and a husband?

none cleans up anything. My 6 year old helps when asked, but my 3 year old is so stubern she wont. My husband will take off his work clothes and thats where they get left, he gets out of the shower and leaves clothes and a wet towel on the floor and our bathroom is pretty small so of course from leaving a wet towel it starts smelling. There is no room for a clothes basket and the hall is to small as well that you would triip over it in the middle of the night if left out there. Stuff gets spilled on the floor within 5 minutes of me mopping. There is food on the floor like crumbs we have hardwood floors all downstairs so I am sweeping it around 5 times a day. Noone puts dishes in the sink. So my house is always looking trashed. I don't mean just toys here and there I am talking about toys, crumbs on the floor, dishes, clothes. I can't take it anymore. How can I keep my house a little more cleaner? I am 33 weeks pregnant so going to have a baby soon and I know the first couple motnhs I will be behind with getting use to the baby and having a third child in the house. I need a rutine or something. How can I get my house to look somewhat clean? I mean it is something that would be embarrassing for people to just show up at my house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• 1. Make your husband clean up after himself. He's an adult, right? 2. Make him clean up after the kids, too. You're 33 weeks pregnant, he needs to pick up the slack from now at least until the baby is sleeping through the night.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:23 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I agree with SWasson, delegate chores, put your foot down!

Answer by older at 11:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• At the age that your kids are, I used to bribe mine with a goody. I made sure to give them their goody when everything was finished. Also, try to make cleaning up fun. The kids won't see it as work. As for the toys, I made sure that there was only one or 2 places that they were allowed to play with them. Whenever they got a new toy out, I told them that they had to put the other toy away first.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• In addition to what the pp said, your other 2 kids are old enough to take their dishes to the sink. they are old enough to pick up toys. Don't wait, start on them now. My kids are 8, 6 & 4. They all cleanup after themselves. It takes consistancy. I know it seems hard to keep up on them but it will be habit for them later. Believe me. :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i wish i knew i have ALWAYS had problems asking my bf to help
    jennifer_oakley

Answer by jennifer_oakley at 11:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Simply said... I'm a nag! I make sure the kids and DH clean up after themselves and get all the dishes in the sink and clothes in the hamper.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Oh honey i can totally relate you how you are feeling. My husband does the same thing with his tshirts and boxers. Not so much the towel. I have 3 kids and i am constantly cleaning up after them. I to have hardwood flooring and i just keep the stick vac close by and after each meal i vacuum up the mess. I ALWAYS have my spray bottle full of the Lysol all purpose cleaner ( lemon scent) ready and on hand when ever they are eating. I also baby sit 2 children and so i have no choice but to keep my house clean. I have a 9 yr old who also helps with things like dishes and laundry. Shes such a great help.
    It will get easier once they get a bit older. But maybe talk to your hubby and let him know that you really need him to start chipping in and helping around the house. Your no maid, your a wife and a mother and shouldnt have to clean up after him too. Good luck honey and congrats on the new baby
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• my 5 year old helps me clean and on the weekends my dh does help with some
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Make cleaning up a game to your kids, example....lets see who can pick up the most toys and put them away the fastest! Who can rinse their dishes the best and stack in the dishwasher? remember to always praise their efforts even when the job isn't perfect. And your hubby, well, if he wants clean clothes, they better be in the hamper or they won't get washed. I fold and hang clothes the same way they go in the hamper. If my kids want their clothes folded and hung up right side out, they need to turn them that way themselves before putting them in the laundry room. as for the crumbs on the floor, get a dog they are great for cleaning up spills and crumbs! (mop after)
    CarrieR62

Answer by CarrieR62 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My Husband and my Son both help by cleaning up after themselves (most of the time, lol)..and I tidy up daily. It' not difficult for me, but no one is me except, well, ME. ha. Hope things get better!
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 11:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2011