Have you ever been bullied at work, by your colleagues or a Boss? How did you handle it?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, I was bullied by a supervisor years ago at a bank in NC and after being pleasant to her and working very hard, never calling in sick and being popular with customers , I finally quit after 6 months. I was a nervous wreck,. stomach aches and shaky hands when she was on my case all the time, that I didn't think it was worth it to stay and be her scapegoat. She used to sneer at me and call me "yankee".That was just for starters. It got worse. I think she was mentally disturbed. She made several other employees quit too. We were all harassed and belittled, as were customers, but nobody at Personnel cared.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Document and go higher. If all else fails, I contact human resources. Throwing in a line about this behavior is not okay and if it doesn't stop by ____ I will contact a lawyer. Usually works well.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• This happened to me when I worked at Sheetz. I was constantly being bullied by my manager. One day she came out, on a busy day, mind you, and started yelling at me about letting a customer drive off (gas drive off) there were at least 50+ customers in the store, also 5 or 6 employees, all looking right at me! I had about enough, and decided this job wasn't for me if she was going to do this to me on a daily basis, and I said "You know what, if you can't repremand me professionally, I QUIT!" I wasso embarrassed, because she made me look like an idiot in front of 50+ people, you know what though, everyone was proud of me, as I walked out the door, I heard several people yelling at her about what she did, LOL! I wouldnt reccoment doing that, I just couldn't take her anymore! I heard a month later, 5 others quit right after me for the same exact thing!
    babygrlsmommy

Answer by babygrlsmommy at 11:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes unfortunately at the jobs that I work at, the agency gets behind the supervisor. HR and all are in cohoots. I've been working at "AT WILL" agencies where they can just fire you, "at will".

At my last job I gained weight, aged (my face) and miscarried a child.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My boss is a huge bully. She rewards the suckups and the tattletales while the rest of us are randomly screamed at.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 5:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I have had this problem in 2 different work places. When I was in high school I worked at DQ and one of the female managers there was always harassing me....she was always making comments about my having too many bf's (I only had 1)....and always making comments implying that I was a slut, a whore, ect....I finally quit because I was sick of it and the owners were always on her side. The second time was after I was married. My boss was an ass, I had already but my 2 weeks notice in, but on the 2nd to last day I was supposed to work I got to work and I was bleeding a ton (I was 12 weeks pregnant) I told the manager what happened and that I was going to the ER, I didn't get out of the ER until 1am, I had a miscarriage I was also supposed to work the next day, I called and said I wouldn't be able to make it bc I was in so much pain. My boss accused me of lying and said I was full of shit....I had never missed work before.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I am sorry to hear that AF4life.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes, the boxx, just took it ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2011