Does it bug you when hollywood completely butchers a good book?

Say for example... Eragon? GOOD book. The movie? I hated it. The only thing they really got right was the names. Eragon wasn't a terribly long book. The Harry Potter movies stick more to the plot and the books are twice as long! I just wish sometimes they could do a better job with some movies. I'd still rather read though!

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 11:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Just for Fun

• That is so funny. I saw the title of your thread and immediately thought yes... Eragon. Then I clicked on your question and you stated the same thing.
    I know that they are going to cut the great parts out of the last 3 Harry Potter movies to make them PG-13. If you read The Half Blood Prince, you know how important the last battle scene is. Well, It won't be in the movie. Grrrrrrrr. I dont know why they are staying with this director.
    I like POA. Because I didnt start reading the books until my son became old enough to follow along. I understand where you are coming from however with the last movie. I hated OOTP! I am ordering the complete book series from England, so I can read it how it was original written by Rowling. I really don't care if I see the movies anymore. Even though I adore the cast.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• YES!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I know what you mean! I think they completely ruined Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and I was VERY disappointed in Eragon.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• ya i just saw this movie twilight. it as a good movie but they added and deleted sens that were and werent in the book. it pi$$ed me off. lol
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I loved the books...but thought the movie was stupid. 'The Other Boleyn Girl'..great book but the only thing I liked about the movie was the costumes and scenery. They got the story all wrong.
    But then there's the books that aren't as good as the movie...like 'The Postman'. Great movie ~ weird book...of coarse it may have been better if I hadn't of seen the movie first....but I doubt it.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• yes! and not to mention that they are butchering other movies! I'm sick of all the Asian horror they are remaking... the Asian ones are so much better! I boycott any hollywood remake of Asian horror. most recent was The Eye with Jessica Alba.

dissapointed in Harry Potter series and the Twilight movie.

they've done a few great ones though. The Notebook was better IMO, The Green Mile was spot on as was the Langoliers.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Starship Troopers anyone? The movie was so bad the author's estate had his name taken off the advertising. Now, that's bad.

As for Eragon, I can't really judge. I haven't seen the movie yet and didn't really care for the book. I was too aware of all the different books where all the plot elements came from. With every element, I kept saying "Oh yeah! This is just like ____". It kept me from enjoying the book for it's own sake. Someday, I'll have to read the second and third books and see if the author's style improved with age.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• YEAH, big-time! They really screwed up Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix~it was terrible, how bad they did!!
    fosternpa

Answer by fosternpa at 11:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I thought Starship Troopers was a good movie LOL cheesey but I thought that was how it was supposed to be. never read the book.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• the worst Harry Potter movie IMO was Prisoner of Azkaban. Come on! they completely left out who Mooney Padfoot Wormtail and Prongs were and that in turn left out the significance of Harry's patronus.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008