Anybody knowledged in the 'diarrhea area?'

My two year old little boy has never had these symptoms before. He began on June 11th and is still going steady. Began with vomiting and the diarrhea symptoms and that persisted till the 20th...and then it came back on the 22nd. Of course, I have taken him in to the pediatrician twice now. He is hydrated. They had perscribed him an anti-nausea medicine; however, he is still experiencing abdominal pains, he's lounging around, he's had no fever over the duration of these 2 weeks. He has seized with the vomitting due to the medicine but, things keep going out the other door non-stop :( We just did 3 days ago, stool cultures on him and everything came back (-) which is great, but in another way isn't. We can't treat this being it is a 'viral.' That is understandable, but he is 2, he's lost 3 pounds now over the 2 weeks and he's just not himself. Has there been anybody else out there who has had children or have known of children to have caught this nasty little viral and maybe has a bit of assurance? There are 3 other children reported in my city who have the same symptoms...just wish I knew how they're dealing with this matter :/

Burt929

Asked by Burt929 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Health

• I have heard shigella (sp?) is going around. Have they checked him for that? I hope he feels better soon.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Sounds like rotavirus. I'd ask for that test - again, if they didn't do it the first time. That sounds just like what happened to my DD when she had that. And especially if he's already dehydrated, he needs to get checked out again. Dehydration is dangerous.
    Anonymous

• He may need some probiotics to help his system to get right. There is yogurt with probiotics or you can buy it in a powder form and mix it into his drink or food.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• he isn't dehydrated
    Burt929

Comment by Burt929 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Probiotics are not for dehydration they are for your digestive system.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Sorry, I misread that - I thought it said he was dehydrated. I'm going to agree with treynlisa - get some good probiotics (good-quality ones will be refrigerated) and get some in him - if my kids have diarrhea I mix 1 capsule into about 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, get them to eat it in just a minute or two, and repeat that 3-4 times a day. Works wonders on the digestive system.
    Anonymous

• If your kid has had diarrhea so badly that he has seized and lost 3 pounds THAT IS SERIOUS 3 pounds on him would be like 30 on you! And he has to be cyclically dehydrated.... seizures are more likley then not due to transient low sodium..not due to medication...
    If this were my child and the diarrhea with weight loss persisted despite elimination of dairy products-- clear oral fluids, bananas, rice and toast diet-- I would go to a Children's ONLY hospital and see a specialist (gastroenterologist)-- I live in Ny so where would I go? Childrens hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), Maria Ferrari Childrens, or Columbia Childrens.....
    IDK how you come up with he's not dehydrated but he's lost weight and seized throughout this course?? and what is the virus...you said they ran cultures so they should know what virus it is....cultures when done right test for both bacteria, virus AND ova and parasite.you need better HCPers
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Pure Blackberry juice, 2-3 tablespoons four times a day. Carrot soup not only soothes an inflammed bowel, it replaces lost body fluids and minerals. PM me for the recipe if you want it. Barley water throughout the day helps, I can give you that recipe too. Raspberry Leaf Tea one teaspoon four times a day. But if the problem is painful, persistent, or accompanied by repeated vomiting seek medical help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• MELRN...first of all, please "take" the time to re-read my statement about my son seizing. He never seized, he seized from vomiting, meaning he "stopped" vomiting. Also, my son is NOT dehydrated. Hydrated means that he has enough fluid in his system to create sweat and tears. Dehydrated means the opposite. So please, for anyone else that chooses to comment, please read the question "carefully." Already stressed out enough let-alone to find some desturbing message about how I can't read my child; AND this includes for MELRN's comment, yes, they ran cultures, not everything comes back (+) I am experienced in performing cultures in a lab. He is (-) for the rotavirus along with it's 2 fellow members that run in the same family. No, just because they run a culture on your child's stool does not mean one of them will wiggle with flying colors. He has been diagnosed with VGE, it's a viral, nothing you can do for virals.
    Burt929

Comment by Burt929 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Also, with the probiotics, it would be great if I could get him to stomach the yogurt let alone the powder that I put in his water :/ this little booger can tell the difference :(
    Burt929

Comment by Burt929 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2011