I Know I Was Around Here Somewhere... adult content

Lately, I've begun to wonder where I went. There's this old bedraggled hag staring back at me from the mirror. Every day, I get up to a yowling, starving, soaking wet baby and two other kids who can't seem to remember that the milk lives in the refrigerator and the cereal lives in the pantry. It's summer, so all the kids seem to do is play video games or go outside to play and come in filthy, shed off all their filth-ridden clothing and leave it everywhere, skin on fresh clothing, then go back outside to get THAT clothing filthy, repeat until all clothing is mung-covered and shoved into corners. Meanwhile, the baby has been playing her fave game Eat Poop Eat Poop Pee Eat Poop all morning long and every day seems to be Hold Me All Day Or I'm Blaming You In Therapy Later Day. A thousand dishes, sandwiches, napkins, glasses of liquid, bottles, diapers and toys are made, found, thrown away, washed or refilled. The Husband Person takes the night shift with the baby, so he stays up late and gets up late. We haven't had a "date night" in forever and it's a really big day if I bother to brush my hair. Forget about sex, that's fallen so far down on the list that I wouldn't know what to do with my husband if he did the Dance of the Seven Veils while holding a plate of chocolate-covered sex toys. I used to be interesting. Now, if I manage to string together a coherent sentence that doesn't contain the words "kid", "baby", "filth" or "poop" I count it as a win. I miss me. I wonder where I went? How can I find me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• It's wonderful isn't it? But you do need some time for yourself. Grab a babysitter if possible, write in a journal, read a book, take a class at the local college.

You rock a sobbing child without wondering if today’s world is passing you by, because you know you hold tomorrow tightly in your arms.”

Neal A. Maxwell
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 12:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You should write a blog! If you don't already.

It's totally ok to tell the kids they cannot go outside for the day. It's ok to make them clean the kitchen. And I love this post, because it's totally true!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• If the kids are old enough to play video games, and play outside unsupervised, they are old enough to start helping you out around the house. If they help out around the house, you'll have more time for you.. and that's what you need. Also, try going for a walk. Put baby in either a sling or a stroller (babies tend to quietly enjoy their surroundings while walking with mama) and go for a walk each day to mentally unwind.
    Gwenleona

Answer by Gwenleona at 5:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It all starts with you, you need to find yourself and time for yourself. Also you need to make time for your Husband or you will loose him to someone else, men need sex and if you don't give it to him regularly then he will get it elsewhere. You can also find time to fix yourself up even if your an at home mom it takes a few min to comb your hair and put on decent clothes, if you love and want you man then don't run him away.
    Im off all week and i don't dress up but i look decent and smell good for my Husband and I comb my hair...there are moms all over the world with multiple children but find time for romance....Please do it for your marriage and yourself esteem.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i would try to get a sitter and go on a weekend trip if possible so you and SO can reconnect. You would feel better about yourself also. If you cant get a sitter maybe a relative could take them for the weekend or even the night. I would also recommend getting the children to pitch in around the house. I would also tell them if they are gonna be outside they can leave the play clothes on, if they come in and change they are in for the day.
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You sound like me! The kids probably need some structure. Maybe make them earn video game time with chores, and definately make them responsible for their clothes, Can't they just run around in swimming suits all summer?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• This too shall pass.... When they hit about 17 they grow a brain.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2011