C-section meds

So with the possibility of a C-section in the next week, I'm trying to gauge the amount of pain I will be in because I really want to go home to be with family for the 4th...what kind of pain meds do they give you? I figure if it's vicodin I will be able to go home, anything stronger I have to stay :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i was given hydrocodon and 800mg ibuprofen. i got my c-section after 22 hours of labor on a tuesday night and went home friday morning. i heard you will be in more pain if you go through labor first before the c-section.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• In the hospital they gave me stronger meds for the first day. Sorry I don't remember. I think the first hour was morphine and then they gave me something else after that. IT didn't work so we switched to a different med. When I came home I had Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• woot, maybe I'll be able to go home, lol :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• What is your timeline? Usually you leave the hospital after 3 days of surgery.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• As long as you are not required to do anything. Just sit and relax. Let every one spoil you a bit and you should be fine.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• they sent me home with Loratab. I had my c section on a friday went home that monday!
    Faithsmom2010

Answer by Faithsmom2010 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You could always call your doctor and ask. I think it's different for a planned C-section and an emergency C-section. I think it also depends on your pain tolerance.

My first was an emergency, my second was planned (I tried for a VBAC, but 50/50 was not good enough odd for me). My first I was up and around quickly, I had gotten an epidural at one point. My second knocked me on my backside. I wound up with a horrible headache (normal reaction/side effect) from the spinal. I know they gave me SOMETHING for it but I can't now remember what it was. I also have a VERY high pain tolerance. As they were prepping me for the planned C-section my doctor looked at me and asked if I was feeling the contractions I was having. This was before the spinal and I felt nothing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• As of right now, I don't know the exact date of the C-section, I will know on Tuesday because he is sideways right now, if he doesn't turn I will get a C-section, if he has turned I will be induced to avoid him turning again. The 4th in my hometown is a huge celebration that's 4-5 days long, so even if I miss the first few days being in the hospital, I'll be fine with that, and it will be relaxing with family the whole time. My pain tolerance is pretty high, but I've never broken a bone or had stitches or anything, which is why I'm pretty clueless about the whole getting cut open thing! Thanks ladies :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I had my baby about 10 months ago, and i out of the hospital in 3 days. my doctor had me on morphine the first day in the hospital, then a combination of ibuprophen and lortab the last two days. the key to a speedy discharge is definitely getting out of bed as soon as you are actually able to,as long as there are no complications. i am not gonna lie to you, there will be pain. a bit more pain than natural child birth. alot more worry about what is safe to do. if you take care of yourself and do as your doctor says u will have a good experience. and don't be afraid to ask for help. hope you have a great 4th of july with your baby. i hope this helps.
    Mrs.Carr81

Answer by Mrs.Carr81 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• ask for duramorph in your epidural/spinal because it helps you feel nothing for the first 24hours. get up and walk and stuff cause it will make your recovery more pleasant lol
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 1:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2011