• In the Spotlight:

How to teach my children spanish or other languages

Hello, I have an almost 4 year old (august birthday) and a 7 month old. I know the first 5 years is best to learn other languages. We speak english, my 4 year old speaks very well I want to teach her spansh and later french. I do not speak spanish or any other language. I took 4 years and can barely speak it all I didnt have a good teacher for two of the years and barely scraped by the other two. There are many schools in my state for teaching spanish to kids but none are closer than an hour to my house and the drive, along with rush hour and price of the school and our other activities make it impossible for me to make it work. I would like to know the best way to teach a language, best resources, programs. If there is a good website to go to for ideas. Maybe if someone speaks fluently or have taught their children they could become my friend on here and use OOVOO to help me teach my little one. Any ideas would be helpfull, im not sure where to start.

mrhodgeswife

Asked by mrhodgeswife at 1:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when you find out please let meknow because I want to teach my two year old.
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 1:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• The best way to get a child to learn a foreign language is to force them. They will learn to understand a language if they have to. This is what happens with like Dora or a bilingual parent who speaks to them in, say, Spanish. However, all my bilingualism classes support the fact that children resist speaking a language when they know they will (or can!) be understood in their native language.

Therefore, grandma/friend who speaks Spanish and English, the child will listen to them in Spanish, but will respond in English, or Spanglish at best (when foreced). If Grandma only speaks Spanish, however, the child will speak Spanish to her.

I am fluent in English and Spanish and speak German and French just OK, but while I can get my kids to understand some, they won't learn to speak any more than they speak Spanish and Chinese with Dora and Kai-Lan. They don't internalise the structure.

Bilingual friends or games would help some.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Thanks tracy, I was planning on making many games and making it so I will only respond to her if she uses spanish after I get her vocab up, but im having trouble finding good materials. And I want her to be able to make or say sentences in the near future.
    mrhodgeswife

Comment by mrhodgeswife (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• In my case im french and I taught my kids french. I speak fluent in french and my husband spanish. We'd be glad to help you!!! Games help A LOT!!!
    mommyofamanda8

Answer by mommyofamanda8 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Thank you do you mind if I add you?
    mrhodgeswife

Comment by mrhodgeswife (original poster) at 6:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2011