I don't understand why my 3 yr old will not go poop in the potty! Help

She will be 3 July 7th. She goes pee in the potty...most of the time. But she has only pooped once and that was with her Gamma was helping her and bribed her with a princess dress. After she got the princess dress, we had to get something else that would motivate her to go. So we got her a 31 piece train set. (she likes trains idk why lol) and she understands that if she goes she gets one. But she won't ever go. We catch her squatting and we try to get her to go but she's already pooped.

It's so frustrating because she KNOWS that she should go in the potty. As she is pooping we ask her why isn't she going in the potty and she even tells us basically she knows she should but shes not. I've tried asking her why she won't but she doesn't say much. I feel like its either a control thing or she's lazy. Ugh I don't know what to do anymore!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know doctors have said it takes awhile because when they poop in the potty it feels like they r going to fall in!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Haha I was wondering if that was the issue. We have those little toilet seats for toddlers so she sits on it fine..idk
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It is just that sometimes they push hard to get it out and it feels like their insides will fall out!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Dont get yourself frustrated because it wont help you or her. Just have a clear mind and breathe cause eventually she will have to learn.. to be honest i always bribed him with candy but a certian kind... that he only got for pottying..and he got the hangoff it pretty quickly. But it might take a little more time.. with her. Good luck!
    bsukhdeo

Answer by bsukhdeo at 1:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I my experience with my ss we were told it was a control issue. At that age there are so few things that they can control... We just got where we would ignore the pooping in his pants other than to change him and tell him we were disappointed that he choose not to use the potty. But when he actually went in and pooped in the toilet he got a reward. We also really pressed that point that "big people" used toilets instead of going in their pants. He quit having accidents at our house months before he did with his mom and grandma so we must have done something right!
    sarbar

Answer by sarbar at 2:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i had the same prob wit dd..its actually really common and normal..my doc said sometimes it freaks them out esp if the have a hard poop on the potty mayb give her a lil stool softner and anytime she gets on the potty ask her if she needs to poop...if she dse then tell her if she dse go then youll give her a susprise or a treat or something shell think is really cool..this workd for me and i also told my dd if she poopd and peed on the potty like a big girl she cld do big girl things..if not she had to wear a baby diaper and b a baby.....gl
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2011