Would you like to see companies to stop the use of artificial colors to make food products?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I think it's sad that people have to go out of the way to avoid certain foods, spending more on them than regular shelf food. Why is natural foods so much more expensive (other than organic fresh fruits, veggies, and meats)? Because so few people bother with them that they are a specialty food. If it became law that dyes were no longer allowed, non-dyed foods would become cheaper. As for the organic fruits, veggies, and meats their cost goes up due to the cost of quickly and safely shipping them. To drop those costs, we need more local farmers!
    Gwenleona

Answer by Gwenleona at 5:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes, along with msg and nitrates
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 1:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Absolutely. There is NO reason that anything needs to be a color other than what is naturally occurring.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• DDDaysh, ALL artificial colors do is make the food look more apetizing. It doesn't preserve it, it doesn't cost more to make it without it.

Yes, I want artificial colors to make their way OUT of our food.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• YES! And it is not only MORE COST EFFECTIVE but completely realistic! I own a home business with a company that does gourmet food. ALL of our products are Food Dye Free, Preservative Free, Additive Free and MSG Free. And we don't just have herbs and spices but cake mixes, "hamburger helper" style meals, sauces & dips, breads and breakfast items... The stuff is more expensive through us, because food is always more expensive through DS companies. But it actually doesn't need to be. In fact Hamburger helper just put out a line of "dinner kits" with no MSG, Food dye or artificial preservatives as well, and my local supermarket sells them for $1.25 each! So they are no more costly than the original stuff... Other companies SHOULD follow suit! Those EXTRA ingredients cost extra money to produce and use, are more people would happily purchase products without these ingredients! It's a win win for customers & companies!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes, I would. I know the food wouldn't be as colorful and attractive, but there are so many physical and mental health issues linked to these dyes. I think it would be very beneficial to children especially.

Hunnieto3

Answer by Hunnieto3 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• YES! It would make my shopping so much easier!! They serve no purpose at all. I am not a big 'all organic' person but artificial dyes are just crazy to me. What is wrong with the food that you needed to color it! AND if you really wanted to color it then why not use natural means like some companies already do, beet juice, spinach powder, Turmeric powder... It would not cost more but it would be beneficial. How can anyone feel it is okay to eat derived from coal tar! How is this considered edible!? Food dyes have already been banned on some countries. We would not be stepping out on a limb to do so as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Yes, my son is allergic to red dye but loves fruit snacks, gushers and fruit by the foot, sometimes it is very difficult to find snacks and drinks while we are out that will not make him sick.
    jimandjess

Answer by jimandjess at 2:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

Not only that, but we need to understand here that food dyes ARE NOT SAFE, they are being shown to be more dangerous than ever before. These are artificial chemicals and do and can cause health issues which cost consumers thousands of dollars each year on doctors and treatments. So even if they were to charge an extra ten cents for the dye free stuff, it would save families HUGE amounts of money by not having to treat the resulting health conditions.

I have Fibromyalgia, Labryinthitis, BPD2 and Arthritis. My husband has a Kidney Blockage, ADHD and an additional Anxiety condition. My oldest son also has an Anxiety condition. Eliminating the extra crap from our food has made a HUGE difference, and isn't costing us much more, if anything...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It would be nice but not realistic
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2011