Does your family acknowledge your children's birthdays?

In the past, almost every time any of my three boys has a birthday we have a party. Things have came up in the past and we decided to skip parties here and there. We recently decided that it'd be better to skip the parties all together. That way we can use the money we would spend on party favors, larger cake and food for presents instead. Our kids seem to really like the idea since they get a few more presents. LOL. Today is my youngest son's birthday. Now last year, we had a party and invited my family and in laws. It was a house full, and of course cost money to host. Just the other day, my Grandmother sent a birthday card with money in it for him. He was so excited! What I don't get is that not one other member of my family or DH's family has called to say happy birthday. They only seem to acknowledge birthdays if we have a party. It's not like we need all kinds of gifts, but I'm sure it hurts my kids feelings that no one calls to talk to them on their special days. Does your family send cards or call your kids?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My parents, my mil and my sister all recognize my kids birthdays and give a card and presents. As for other family-- hubs siblings, and our Aunts/Uncles.... they do not call or send cards. If they see a post on fb (Iike me or hubs saying "today X is # years old...") they will put a happy birthday comment on that post.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• My kids get cards from people although not everyone. We stopped doing big parties a long time ago and most of my siblings live pretty far away so for them to come to a party is a lot. What we started doing is having just cake and ice cream on their birthday..Anyone that can make it great and if you can't that is okay as well. With my siblings we get together once during the month, we are lucky we have 4 birthdays in March and 2 in November so we just get together once when everyone can make it. We do a pot luck dinner and 1 cake for all the kids.

Sorry no one has called maybe they forgot. I hope he has a great birthday!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Thanks, I think he'll have a good birthday with our little party. I just think it's crappy for adults who make a big deal out of their own birthdays to forget kids on theirs.
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Always and Aunts and Uncles, family 1 state away will send cards to them with gift cards in them.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• only grand parents give money
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011