I have 1,045 to spend on food and 610 every month after...

I am so used to feeding my family on $40 a week (for my family of 4) I have no idea what to buy! All we have been eating is veggies, rice and beans with a little meat here and there. I have been making my own bread and muffins... How do I get back into spending a 'normal' amount with out going 'crazy' and wasting it. I am a little worried I might. It's odd having this much money for food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i would continue to spend how you were originally
    don't go spending just because you can, go saving in case a natural disaster happens
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You can't save it if you do they take it away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Eat what your family needs & donate the rest of the food so others can benefit as well. That would be nice right?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think what lizzybee is saying is stock up on can goods and bottled water. It is hurricane season down here in the south. So every time we go grocery shopping we spend a little extra on stuff like can goods and bottled water.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• How in the world do people get that much in foodstamps? It's astounding!

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 3:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• wow! sounds like a lot of money for a family of 4,I would def donate some of it.Or whatever is extra.Its nice to share blessings! ♥
    inahan

Answer by inahan at 3:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I have no idea... I guess ince we make nothing. Though I am not sure how more food helps us any. I think I am just going to stock up for a few months then stop using all of them and let them take some away. Right now we literally only have one plum, rice, dry beans, a bag of dry soup, 9 eggs, a roll of crackers and some frozen veggies in the house. 610 is the regular amount and the other 4 something was out reto from when we applied almost a month ago.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• also stock up on things that don't go bad.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• When my husband was hurt at work and worker's comp was not paying (we had no income for several months), we only qualified for $320/month in foodstamps for our family of 4. States must be different in the way they give out their foodstamps. Not saying y'all are doing anything wrong; clearly the state is out of control in how they dispense their benefits.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 3:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• 610/month is NOT a lot... not here any ways. It's pretty good though. I'm spending 480-550/month and it's killing our budget... but we can't eat any less then that - it's already the bare minimum ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2011